Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Pineapple
#2586 I petitioned for bankruptcy in early April and the flow of DCA letters slowed down, but did not stop. Today I received another. I've been discharged now for 2.5 months, for goodness' sake. :shock:

Previously, I forwarded the letters to the OR, but I'm not sure whether to do that now or just scribble a note on it and send it back. I'm not phoning them, as it's an 0870 number.
By keepchinup
#2588 Hi, if you're discharged they are no longer a creditor and have no business contacting you whatsoever. It might be good for you to get your credit files and make sure the discharge shows, and the debts have been settled.

You can safely ignore all letters and phone calls as they can take zero action, like I said they are no longer creditors of yours.

If they really get annoying I would still contact the OR who I think would still be able to assist you.
BySonic
#2589 Hi Zadie

All these debts were written off the day you went bankrupt - so whether you're discharged or not makes no difference. Could not you not send them copies of the bankruptcy order to prove you went bankrupt and leave it at that?
ByDavidc
sadnskint wrote:Hi Zadie

All these debts were written off the day you went bankrupt - so whether you're discharged or not makes no difference. Could not you not send them copies of the bankruptcy order to prove you went bankrupt and leave it at that?

I wouldn't bother, but a copy of the letter of Discharge would be more appropriate as although they should not contact you and only deal with the OR technically you are not discharged of your liability for your debts until the date of discharge.
David
By Pineapple
#2593 Yes, I think I'll send them a copy of the court letter of discharge, as I assume the OR is no longer interested now I've had my discharge.

What I found amazing is that after so many months a DCA is still pursuing the debt. Unless of course it was bought on the off-chance of me winning the lottery while bankrupt. Tough! I don't do the lottery. :roll:
ByDavidc
Zadie06 wrote:Yes, I think I'll send them a copy of the court letter of discharge, as I assume the OR is no longer interested now I've had my discharge.

What I found amazing is that after so many months a DCA is still pursuing the debt. Unless of course it was bought on the off-chance of me winning the lottery while bankrupt. Tough! I don't do the lottery. :roll:

In the past nine months Eversheds have bought up £86,000 of my old debt.
Not I think a good buy.
David
By Pineapple
#2595 Wonder what they think is in it for them? I mean the chances of a bankrupt winning the lottery/inheriting money must be remote - especially with early discharge now.
ByDavidc
Zadie06 wrote:Wonder what they think is in it for them? I mean the chances of a bankrupt winning the lottery/inheriting money must be remote - especially with early discharge now.
Depends what they paid for it .......but although the lottery win / inheritance chances are remote it is not unusual if there is property involved for there to be a distribution of assets. If they have paid 5p in the pound and a distribution of 10p is made that is a good profit...
David
By Pineapple
Davidc wrote:
Zadie06 wrote:Wonder what they think is in it for them? I mean the chances of a bankrupt winning the lottery/inheriting money must be remote - especially with early discharge now.
Depends what they paid for it .......but although the lottery win / inheritance chances are remote it is not unusual if there is property involved for there to be a distribution of assets. If they have paid 5p in the pound and a distribution of 10p is made that is a good profit...
David

Well, I had no property, so they'd have had nowt off me. :wink: