Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Bybillykeats
#2271 I've bought a more reliable car with the use of money borrowed from my girlfriend with the view of paying her back once I've sold my other car which I had done up to get through the MOT. As yet I have not been able to sell it and its really getting me stressed.

What I would like to know is, if I haven't been able to sell it by the time I file for bankruptcy on the 10 December, what do I put on the forms 6.28? Do I put both cars? And how will the OR see this?

I bought the car for £300 and looking to sell the other one for around the same so I don't owe my girlfriend anything
ByJaneClack
#2274 Transfer the old car to your girlfriend for the £300 she gave you to buy the other one. Then when it is sold she has the money. Quite simple really and then it does not need to go down in any bankruptcy petition. It is only a problem if you know the car is worth much more and I am afraid then you will have to grin and bear it. Otherwise when it is sold the money will go to the Official Receiver. Basically if you have nothing to hide you put things down on the form. He is not an ogre but there to do a job and is also quite approachable. If you do have things to hide bankruptcy is not an option as the OR will find out. But you haven't - so stop worrying!
Bybillykeats
#2281 But should I fill in the DVLA form in with my girlfriends details as the OR will look into DVLA about the car.
ByDavidc
Sarah wrote:Transfer the old car to your girlfriend for the £300 she gave you to buy the other one. Then when it is sold she has the money. Quite simple really and then it does not need to go down in any bankruptcy petition. It is only a problem if you know the car is worth much more and I am afraid then you will have to grin and bear it. Otherwise when it is sold the money will go to the Official Receiver. Basically if you have nothing to hide you put things down on the form. He is not an ogre but there to do a job and is also quite approachable. If you do have things to hide bankruptcy is not an option as the OR will find out. But you haven't - so stop worrying!

The way I see it, if you can not sell it first is that she bought your car from you for that £300. So it is now hers to sell and keep the money.
or are we singing from the same song sheet ? but in a different key.

David
Bybillykeats
#2284 So to get this right, on the form I put the car that my girlfriend has bought me under section 3.3 where they want any car that I own. Then not mention the other car that I am trying to sell which technically now belongs to my girlfriend but I don't have to get the dvla part of it filled out as I am trying to sell it to get her money back

Is that right or do I put down both cars?
ByJaneClack
#2289 Billy - you are now posting on several forums and asking the self-same question! Put down the new car that you have bought for £300, transfer her name as owner of the old car and then she can sell it. Or the other way round and that way you only have one car.
I am beginning to wonder if you are searching deliberately for reasons not to go bankrupt. You do not have to go bankrupt - you could look at a debt management plan - ring one of the free debt advice agencies - we always recommend NDL, CCCS or FCL Payplan. They will be able to talk you through the options as it seems silly everyone responding on different forums.
Bybillykeats
#2295 If you must know I have spoken to CCCS and they have told me to file for bankruptcy but they have been no help what so ever after that.

I can never get to see anyone at the CAB as there are so many bloody foreigners there sponging off this country that every time I get a day off to go there I have to comeback another day. I can't afford to take days off!

This is my only way of getting any information.

So what if I submit it on different forums. Please put me at ease by answering the questions thank you.

For your information I am filing for bankruptcy on the 10 December as i can not afford to pay off the £40000 that I do owe and if I could it would take me 25 years to pay it off if I was on a really tight budget and eat just beans & toast for those 25 years.

I have been treated for depression beacuse of this and am finally getting myself on the straight and narrow so I would appreciate a bit of respect please. This stressful enough.

I was always told to ask questions if I don't know and thats what I am doing. I jst want to clarify your answer so I have got it right

Thank you very much

PS It looks like there is only enough room to put one car anyway!
ByJaneClack
#2296 Dear Billy

I don't intend not to show you respect and in fact AM answering your questions.

What I am trying to show you is that we cannot cover every single eventuality on this forum or Ask the Expert. There does come a time when you have to make the decision or not - we cannot tell you what to do nor can we give you any cast iron guarantees.

We are here in a volunteer advice capacity and I notice that Simon and Gloria have also been answering your questions and I feel that duplicating them on the same website is not really helping you as different advisers sometimes do have different opinions - but fortunately on this one we do seem to agree. If you ask for the advice unfortunately you get it and sometimes it may even be unpalatable.

CCCS, if they advised bankruptcy, will have talked it through with you and reckoned it is your best solution and as it would be a crime to charge someone to fill in the forms for them, they have not done any further work. There is a website where you can read all the leaflets but I am sure you have looked at it - http://www.insolvency.gov.uk

Hope everything goes well on 10th December. I will be in hospital on that date but will make an effort to come in as we would like to hear from you. I am sure you are going to be pleasantly surprised.
Bybillykeats
#2308 Ok thank you for your time and advice

In future I will stick to one forum

I will be going to the court in London and from what I have read I don't have to make and appointment. Just get there early. I've got the whole day off but have a xmas party to go to in the evening but I'm sure I will be done in time for that.

Anything else I should know before I go? Just getting a bit nervous thats all and just picking up on silly things
ByJaneClack
#2310 I know I am going to regret this but I do need to check!

Why are you going to London, Billy? Do you live there or abroad as otherwise you would petition in your home court - where you have lived for the majority of the last six months. If you do not live in London you will find you have a wasted journey unless you have checked this beforehand.

I promise you you are worrying about nothing and you will feel much happier when the deed is done. :lol: I promise
Bybillykeats
#2311 I have lived in London all my life in the same house in fact.

So am I right in saying that I can go up there on the day?

If it is any different I am going to panic as I am gearing myself up for this day and taken a days holiday (which I can't afford to do) to do this.

I know that the OR will arrange another day to speak to me either by phone or in person but I will know in advance of the details
ByJaneClack
#2313 No, you are doing exactly the right thing. I did need to double check though!

Take care and I do want to know what happens!
Bybillykeats
#2315 So i have learnt something from these forums then!

I will definately let everyone know how I get on especially if it does run smoothly

Speak to you soon
ByJaneClack
#2316 Good.... am glad to hear it.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Bydoglover
#2317 Hi Billy
I rang what i thought was my local court for information and found out they could send me the initial paperwork but i had to then phone my (actual) local court to make an appointment. There is apparently a lot of people applying for bankruptcy at the moment and they like to keep it to around 2 or 3 people a day.
I was told to bring the paperwork, the £450 and then i would have to see the judge and then wait for a phonecall from the Official Reciever. All on the same day.
You can see, that if 2 other people are going to be doing the same as me on the day, that it might take some time.
I am assuming Billy, that you have had the paperwork? and checked it is your local court for your area? as not all courts deal with bankruptcy's. Also that it is a day they have set aside to deal with cases? as they might not do them every day. Also, how many people are already applying on the day?

I think i would make a phone call to put my mind at rest over the above questions.

Good luck. I go in on the 9th Dec and i hope to post on here how it all went.