Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Byajnabi
#2117 Hello
I have been made bankrupt recently by one of my creditors to whom I owe only £1000. I was informed about this from my sources in the UK as I currently live abroad. I have huge unsecured debt totalling around 150k from few personal loans, various credit and store cards. My debtors have the information that I am abroad but they don't know where I live at present. My questions are:

* What are my options at present and how would they deal with my situation as I am abroad?

*As far as OR investigation is concerned, how would they carry out their investigation in my absent, or would they wait till I return to the UK? What is the most likely outcome?

Please note that I do not have any intention to return to the uk in the near future and I do not have any assets.

I would really appreciate if anyone can give me some advice in this situation.
ByDavidc
ajnabi wrote:Hello
I have been made bankrupt recently by one of my creditors to whom I owe only £1000. I was informed about this from my sources in the UK as I currently live abroad. I have huge unsecured debt totalling around 150k from few personal loans, various credit and store cards. My debtors have the information that I am abroad but they don't know where I live at present. My questions are:

* What are my options at present and how would they deal with my situation as I am abroad?

*As far as OR investigation is concerned, how would they carry out their investigation in my absent, or would they wait till I return to the UK? What is the most likely outcome?

Please note that I do not have any intention to return to the uk in the near future and I do not have any assets.

I would really appreciate if anyone can give me some advice in this situation.

Actually you could post this on the "normal" board as it is to do with UK insolvancy procedures, however if as you say you have been made bankrupt you no longer have the £150k of debts you mention as they would have all been included in the insolvancy......
May I ask how you know that you have been made bankrupt?
As I suspect you have recieved a threat of action and that in reality it has not taken place......Have you checked on the insolvancy register?

[/url]http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/eiir/IIRMasterPage.asp[url]
enter your details and search all courts.
David
Byajnabi
#2126 Thank you David. Yeah! you are right. I have conducted a search and my name isn't there.

I still would like to know If I am made bankrupt in the future what course of action The Court or The OR is likely to take as I'm abroad and have a huge debt? I don't undestand how would they investigate my bankruptcy in my absence. Do you think my bankruptcy would include a restriction order? If so any idea for what length?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
ByJaneClack
#2133 If you are made bankrupt in your absence - and people can be - all your debts would be included but all your worldwide assets would be forfeit. This basically means that if they can find where you are - and the Official Receiver has a long arm and a beaky nose - any assets you might have in the foreign country - such as a home - could be seized and sold to fund the bankruptcy. This is one of the main reasons that people abroad do come back to sort things out before they buy any property etc. However, to be able to petition for your own bankruptcy in the UK there are regulations and I believe - it is 00.34am so I am typing without checking - you have to have been resident in the UK for six months in the last three years. A bankruptcy restriction order is likely only in the rarest of cases and investigation is carried out only if the OR believes something iffy has been going on - or has been informed of such a thing. If you do not intend to return to the UK anyway a bankruptcy restriction order is not really going to cause you any problems. Read through the leaflets at http://www.insolvency.gov.uk