Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By billykeats
#2050 From my understanding its advisable to take all you money out of your accounts the day before you go to the court to apply for bankruptcy and then the day after open a new account. Now ideally i would like to apply on Friday in London so open an account on Saturday so only take a day off work. My problem is that I temp and get paid weekly on a Friday!

I'm guessing I would need to do it Monday and then open an account on Tuesday but that means taking 2 days off which I can't afford to do in my situation as I risk the chance of losing my temp job

Has anyone else had this same problem?
BySonic
#2084 Hi, I have temped before and I know it can be a problem taking days off, but here's a couple of suggestions/thoughts:

Obviously you will need a day off for the bankruptcy, but do you really need a whole day off to open up a new bank account? Could you not do this in your lunch hour/just take an hour or so off instead of a whole day?

If you're worried from the point of view of what to tell the agency/employer, it's pretty normal to occassionally take take time off for personal reasons (eg visiting sick grannie :wink: or whatever), and if they won't be reasonable about this then maybe you should look for another temp job/agency.
By billykeats
#2087 Thank you for that

The problem I now have is what accounts are available and I can open immediately the day after my B goes through. I can not go to Nationwide or Barclays as I have debts with them and they won't be too pleased if I come back. The Co-operative I have read takes 6-8 weeks to set up so thats not instant for me to get the direct debits moved over.

Are there anymore available to undischarged bankrupts that have firstly can open almost immediately with direct debit & standing order facility and then secondly have internet banking?

Heard about Natwest Step Account but not sure it is available to undischarged and also the Woolwich Card saver but not sure it has direct debit & standing order facilty.

Can anyone help please
ByDavidc
billykeats wrote:Thank you for that

The problem I now have is what accounts are available and I can open immediately the day after my B goes through. I can not go to Nationwide or Barclays as I have debts with them and they won't be too pleased if I come back. The Co-operative I have read takes 6-8 weeks to set up so thats not instant for me to get the direct debits moved over.

Are there anymore available to undischarged bankrupts that have firstly can open almost immediately with direct debit & standing order facility and then secondly have internet banking?

Heard about Natwest Step Account but not sure it is available to undischarged and also the Woolwich Card saver but not sure it has direct debit & standing order facilty.

Can anyone help please

The Natwest Step account is no longer available to undischarged bankrupts and the Woolwich cardsaver is basically a savings account with a visa electron card so no DD's or STO's I am afraid..... I know you are of the opinion that the Nationwide will not deal with you as they are a creditor. but I know of occasions where a basic account has been opened after bankrupcy without a problem.....The problem may be predjudice if you go to a branch where you are known...I would simply go to another branch and ask to open an account....you are not credit checked for it and the question of whether you have had an account with them in the past should not come up......Failing that you will have to make do with waiting for your Co-op account to be opened....and make payments via giro slips at a bank in the interim...a small inconvieniance to pay for becoming debt free..and if that is the way it is going to be you really have no choice in the matter
David
By billykeats
#2090 The other slight problem I have Nationwide is that I use to work for them about 5 years ago before quitting for personal but I guess I am going ot have to bite the bullet and go to a branch where they shouldn't know me

Thanks very much for your help
By billykeats
#2091 Just been advised by Simon Wiggins that I shouldn't open an account with Nationwide!

As he has helped me alot so far I think I am going to have to bite the bulletand if necessary wait the 6-8 weeks for the Co-Operative Cashminder
ByDavidc
billykeats wrote:Just been advised by Simon Wiggins that I shouldn't open an account with Nationwide!

As he has helped me alot so far I think I am going to have to bite the bulletand if necessary wait the 6-8 weeks for the Co-Operative Cashminder

I knew that, but did't mention it however, as I have said I know of a few people who have opened a new basic account with a previous creditor without any problem but if you are prepared to wait then no probs....
David