Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By burd2003
#2032 Hi, I'm gonna pertition for bankruptcy next week and I was wondering on a few things -

1) I have Bt phone and broadband in my name - where would i stand with them? can i convert them into my partners name? :shock:

2) my washer and dryer are both on credit in my name and i guess that debt will be considered - but what will happen with my washer and dryer. There not HP its just a bog standard credit agreement as i obviously need them.

My debts are well over £40k so i know i'm able to be bankrupt but i just need to know where i stand.

I need the broadband as I use it for work and I have no other assets except the car which will be repossessed anyways (as I'm renting). Please can someone advise me please from experience.

If anyone has done bankruptcy in Manchester I would especially like to hear from you as thats where i am.
By burd2003
#2035 Hi again I also need information in regards to links on credit files please

I have seen my credit file and I can see my mother is associated with me but I need to remove her so she is not affected by my BO? Does anyone know the address to write to please, and will i have to inform Experian and equifax seperately.

I was also wondering with the car issue - that if I was to buy a car but it was to go in my partners name from scratch (even though he doesnt drive) would this be seen as suspicious by the OR??

Also (sorry for all this but my head is reeling) I have applied for an account with nationwide the flexi account before bankruptcy as my current bank are withdrawing their facilities - once i go bankrupt will they continue to let me use the account or will i have to open another one?

I think your web site is the best so far - i'm glad to hear that things run more smoothly than we all fear :lol:
By Nicky
#2036 Wow! lots of questions :D I'll try to answer some of them for you, others will have alot more experience than me and will chime in eventually.

1) I have Bt phone and broadband in my name - where would i stand with them? can i convert them into my partners name?

As far as I am aware, as long as you are not in arrears with them, you should be fine, some suggest to pay money onto your account so that it is in credit, it then would'nt need to be included in your details.

2) my washer and dryer are both on credit in my name and i guess that debt will be considered - but what will happen with my washer and dryer. There not HP its just a bog standard credit agreement as i obviously need them.

I dont think you will have any problems with this, you could just mention it to the Official Receiver to be on the safe side and for peice of mind, but it should be ok.

I need the broadband as I use it for work and I have no other assets except the car which will be repossessed anyways (as I'm renting). Please can someone advise me please from experience.

As broadband is for work purposes and being left without it mean, no work, then you should be fine to keep this on, I dont think you will have a problem.

I have seen my credit file and I can see my mother is associated with me but I need to remove her so she is not affected by my BO? Does anyone know the address to write to please, and will i have to inform Experian and equifax seperately.

When did you see this report? As of 1st November 2004, people you live with are no longer automatically assossiated with you unless you have a shared debt. Therefore, creditors can no longer assossiate your mother with you because of your finances.

If you have no financial connection with your mother, then this issue will resolve itself.

I was also wondering with the car issue - that if I was to buy a car but it was to go in my partners name from scratch (even though he doesnt drive) would this be seen as suspicious by the OR??

You couldnt buy the car and put it in your partners name without the OR getting suspicious because he would want to know what you spent the money on. Your partner could use his own money to buy a car however and you could use it.

Also (sorry for all this but my head is reeling) I have applied for an account with nationwide the flexi account before bankruptcy as my current bank are withdrawing their facilities - once i go bankrupt will they continue to let me use the account or will i have to open another one?

hmmm.....you should have waited until your bankruptcy had gone through before opening another account. Your new bank could close the account once they find out you are bankrupt. The only ones who can tell you if this account will close or not, is the bank themselves. Otherwise, you will need to open a new bank account once your bankrputcy has gone through.

I hope this answers some of your questions. :)
By burd2003
#2037 thank you nick your so helpful :lol: My mother was seen on my credit history a few months back because she was guarentor for a car i had years ago as a student - but I dont want her to be affected by my BO cuase she would literally kill me i think lol.

The money for the new car is my partners money from a compensation claim so I have no clain to it whatsoever.
By burd2003
#2038 ooo forgot - the bank accoun ti dont have a choice i had to open a new one as my current bank are kicking us out so to speak as they have now seen the full extent of my credit history