Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By mamaden
#205559 Hi,
Just under 2 years ago my ex took out a car on finance at a car supermarket.
On the contract it states if he has paid more than a third (which he has) they cannot take the car back without court action.
He needs the car to get to work as he works quite a way from his home and depending on his shifts some mornings he has to leave at 2am in the morning.
What I am trying to find out for him is if he was to go bankrupt would he lose the car or would the debt be written off (It's £250 a month) and because of his work situation be allowed to keep the car?
I have read the finance agreement but I cannot see anywhere that the finance is guaranteed on the car, all it says is the part where he has to have paid at least one third.
Any advice on this would be really appreciated as he has run up thousands of pounds of debt on his credit cards and the car, then he had to take a drop in overtime because of cut backs in his job. However without the car he wont have a job at all.
Help please.
xx
By TalbotWoods
#205569 Cars are a grey area in bankruptcy, as a lot will depend on botht he financier and the OR.

I suggest you read this topic, which may give you more indications

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14954

Tim