Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By goldmark98
#994 Hi,

If I've been living with my girlfriend for the past 3 years and she is claiming single allowance while I've not been paying C.Tax, will this be looked into by the OR?

I know C.Tax is not everyone's taste, and yes it is law, but I've not had much to be able to afford it and all debts.

Any constructive advice would be appreicated.

Thanks
John
By goldmark98
#995 Also, if I go bankrupt, do I have to pay C.Tax back?
By MAT_FINK
#998 your girlfriend will be liable I would think.

Bankruptcy is a priority debt and should be paid above any credit debt I am afraid. The council may not find out but proably will - and yes it is the law

sorry
ByDavidc
MAT_FINK wrote:your girlfriend will be liable I would think.

Bankruptcy is a priority debt and should be paid above any credit debt I am afraid. The council may not find out but proably will - and yes it is the law

sorry

Your girl friend will have been, and still is apparantly, claiming 25% for sole occupancy and she should have declared the council of her change in circumstances. So you have no liability she has. Will they find out? The most likely will be if one of you has to claim any form of benefit they should pick up on it then. I would recomend that your girlfriend lets the council know that you have moved in now. they can not prove when you moved in so she will not incurrr and arrears.....This of course is not legal, but I would be tempted to do it. Remember again if either of you has to claim anything you will have to remember what date you said you moved in or again they may pick up on it.
David