Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Gordon Bennett
#712 Has anyone had experience of losing a home due to bankruptcy?

I am seriously considering bankruptcy as debts exceed 60k. I expect my wife and two young children will be able to stay in the house for a year after my bankruptcy to give them time to find alternative accommodation.
I think it will be hard to find private accommodation as I assume I'll not be able to provide decent bank references and my wife's income is small. I am in well paid employment.

Does anyone know if a local authority is likely to offer us housing when my home is sold? If not then I have to consider selling first and renting before petitioning.

Financial advice is easy to find but I'd really appreciate any information about the practical realities of bankruptcy,

Regards

GB
By JaneClack
#729 As you have young children if you have not found anywhere to rent the local council would have the obligation to rehouse you.
By Gordon Bennett
#731 Is it possible to find rented accommodation in the private sector if one is bankrupt. I assume I'd have trouble providing bank references!
By Gordon Bennett
#732 Is it possible to find rented accommodation in the private sector if one is bankrupt. I assume I'd have trouble providing bank references!
By JaneClack
#733 I don't know whether it is easy. I do know it is possible as I know several people in the position. If you have the money for a deposit and employment that usually suffices for a short term let and then you could probably extend. Some modern leases do preclude letting to undischarged bankrupts but if it is a first bankruptcy one would be out of bankruptcy within a year and the Official Receiver cannot get a family out of a property within that time so it is unlikely that you would be looking for a property as an undischarged bankrupt. You would not have to move out either - you can stay with your family. I say that purely as you said "I expect my wife and two small children will be able to stay in the house for a year ..". The OR can only raise money from your part of the equity anyway - would it be possible for someone to buy your beneficial interest in the property to protect the home? Look on http://www.insolvency.gov.uk as there is a leaflet on there called "What will happen to your home?". Good luck.