Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By mt
#8426 Hi all. Some of you will remember that I petitioned on Friday and when I got in touch with the OR Friday afternoon they told me they'd give me a ring on Monday. I just assumed that it would a phone call to arrange for the real interview, but when the phone rang today it was the OR, who said he wanted to speak to me and go through my SOA with me.

The OR was VERY nice and understanding. At no point did he make me feel uncomfortable or ashamed about my situation. He asked me about my business account and checked with me the bank accounts, credit cards and loans details on the SOA.

He said I can keep my computer as I need it for my business. He then asked me about how I got into debts in the first place. I told him the truth and said that at first it was just a small loan of £500, then gradually it got worse and worse, and I borrowed more to pay off the smaller loans and to have a bit of cash left over. The pattern repeated itself a few times until I lost my job recently and can no longer carry on down this route anymore. He was fine and very sympathetic about that.

He then asked me why I decided to go bankrupt. Again I told him the truth, that I can no longer rob Peter to pay Paul and, with a new baby, my perspectives have changed and I really want to start a new life with no debts. He said he could understand that.

Some of you may remember that in another post I mentioned that the thing I worried the most was that I would be deemed to have a beneficial interest in my partner's house. Well, the OR didn't ask anything about the house, except to ask me how long I've lived that. So all my worries were for nothing.

So that's it. 20 minutes later he told me that unless he has further queries for me I won't hear from him again. That he would send me the report in the post and I am to sign it and return it to him, together with my credit cards cut in half.

I can't believe that's it. In a way it was good that I wasn't expecting the real interview today, because otherwise I may have spend the days before worrying sick about it. As things turned out, the OR couldn't have been a nicer man. At the end of the phone call, I thanked him for being so kind and he was very pleased that I said that. He had made things so easy for me that I really wanted to thank him from the bottom of my heart.

And finally, thanks everybody in this forum for being so supportive. My new debt-free life starts today. Hooray!
By JaneClack
#8434 Hooray from me too!
By Mel_Odious
#8468 Pleased for you mt and appreciate you letting us know. It is very useful for those that are still worrying about the OR interview.
Best wishes for the rest of your debt free life.
Mel
By sunshine
#8509 hiya....

Will my interview run along the same lines...I am going into an office face to face interview because I told him I was hard of hearing.

The thing is my computer was bought by my brother and he is the owner though he does not have the reciept....I only lend it but pay my internet fees

Also I had a knock at the door this afternoon sure it was one of the creditors....they got my letter this morning with my BO...my brother has said he will pay it off because it is a dodgy doorstep loan company....

The court have told me not to do this because I will be put in prison so I have told my brother....

just hope the company does not start getting heavy....

Will the OR take away any of my belongings....I know Sarah you said he wont but by my pack I received this morning it looks very official...I have to fill it all in and take it with me...

I think this week has been very stressful...I have to go for a medical at social tomorrow so hope I do not get thrown of my benefit jsut when I get money to my self....

Sunshine

PS Will there be other people in the OR's interview room when I go....
By mt
#8511 sunshine, as you were originally offered a telephone interview, my guess is that the OR views yours as a simple case, so you should have nothing to worry about. As long as you're honest, I'm sure your interview will be as straightforward as mine. Good luck.
By Mel_Odious
#8513 Sunshine,
I am trying very hard not to snap at you.
What part of this statement don't you understand?
All your debts prior to the time of your Bankruptcy Order were included in that Order.
That is ALL your debts. Doorstep or otherwise.
If ANYONE demands money from you, they are breaking the Law and you should inform your OR. If they do have a claim for money then they have to queue up with all your other creditors and claim it from your estate which is now in the hands of the Official Receiver. You must not pay anyone and nor must your brother. You do not owe anybody money now that you are bankrupt.

There will be nobody else present at your interview unless the OR needs an assistant or is teaching a student which is all very unlikely. Your affairs are between you and the OR.

Make sure you can't hear anything at your medical tomorrow and act like you are constantly in a panic attack, I don't think you should find that very difficult. I wish you well,

Mel X
By sunshine
#8516 mel...

why the nastiness....

people come on here because of their worries....I am not in a state I am just asking questions....

I wont be coming on here again...

END OF MATTER
By Mel_Odious
sunshine wrote:mel...

why the nastiness....

people come on here because of their worries....I am not in a state I am just asking questions....

END OF MATTER

I am sorry Sunshine but we have told you many times that all your debts were included and you still talk of paying them. I don't think I was being nasty but maybe I was a bit short with you and I apologise for that.
I would not like you to leave this site because of me. If you decide to stay, I will not answer you again.
Will that be OK?

Mel X (A kiss to make up)
ByDavidc
sunshine wrote:mel...

why the nastiness....

END OF MATTER

Stop being so bloody stupid sunshine . Mel certainly had more patiance than I did with you and tried to help you. You just proved to me that I was right and you did not deserve it.
By Pineapple
#8521 Sunshine, Mel is absolutely right that your debt with the doorstep collector is included in your bankruptcy - and indeed you must not pay them. But I'm wondering if there is something more to this. I haven't followed your story, so forgive me if it's already been mentioned - but are you feeling threatened by a loan shark? If so, and they ask you for money, give them your BO and OR details. If they persist and threaten, inform both the police and the OR immediately.
By sunshine
#8522 Hiya Zadie06

Yes the concern was about a loan shark....thanks for your advice....I know what to do now....
By Pineapple
sunshine wrote:Hiya Zadie06

Yes the concern was about a loan shark....thanks for your advice....I know what to do now....

OK, good luck, stay strong and don't let yourself be bullied into something that would be illegal for both you and him. :x
By JaneClack
#8526 But do remember that you quoted the name of the company and Mel checked it up and it was a bona fide company so would soon lose licence if it tried any knee-capping.

Mel was not being nasty Sunshine - it was just a sigh of despair because you do not seem to believe anything we are telling you. I understand how worrying it is but we cannot make it go away, we can only talk of our own experiences and what we have seen with others. It is frightening but you have done the deed now so really there is nothing more anyone can do.

We want to help with moral support and we want you to believe what we are saying - we do NOT want you to go away.... but nor do we want Mel to go either as he is a fount of knowledge as are David and Zadie. I see bankrupts every day in my job and help them prepare and so far I have not seen one person who has not been better off. Take care and let us know how you get on - we do want to know.

Finally go back to Billy Keats' first posts - he thought I was cross with him but I wasn't and he has provided loads of useful information since he did the deed and has asked some questions we have responded to with - wait a while! But it's all going swimmingly now as I think he's on the road to an early discharge!