Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Joannec
#8396 Hello, in readiness for filling in my form, I am a bit behind with our gas bill, water rates and TV Licence. Can I include all of these on the petition and then start paying them from scratch?

Ta
By steveo
Joannec wrote:Hello, in readiness for filling in my form, I am a bit behind with our gas bill, water rates and TV Licence. Can I include all of these on the petition and then start paying them from scratch?

Ta

you would be better off in the long run if you try and get the gas bill paid, and even i credit. including it in the BO will cause problems later on. you gas supplier wont like it and will probably insist that you pay you next account with a prepaid key / card or a deposit in advance.
ByDavidc
Joannec wrote:Hello, in readiness for filling in my form, I am a bit behind with our gas bill, water rates and TV Licence. Can I include all of these on the petition and then start paying them from scratch?

Ta

They are provable debts in bankrupcy but remember we always recommend that you pay the gas and the electricity up to date and if you can a liitle in advance as if they are included in your petition they will fit prepayment meters and likewise your telephone will be cut of and you will either have to find someone to get the phone in their name. Or find a new supplier. The water is a different matter I am not sure of as by law it cannot be disconnected.
David
By Mel_Odious

Ta

You could but I wouldn't advise so doing. Why? Because the Gas Company will want to give you a card or cash meter. The Water Companies can no longer cut you off but again may insist on a meter if you don't already have one or make you pay a deposit. Dunno what the TV Licence people will do cos I used to pay mine by DD and never got behind.
It is best if you can get all the utilities up to date and not have to have them notified of your bankruptcy. What about 'phone and moby? You may have difficulty in getting a new service or you could put them in somebody elses name beforehand, if this is a possibility.

Mel
By Joannec
#8406 Thanks for your replies.

Regarding the gas bill - I can't get this up to date before I go br. I will change supplier and put it in my oh's name I think.

Water, I hate these bas***rds as they have already given me a ccj for non-payment a few years ago. This was when it had been owed for about 6 months. If they can't cut me off, they can swing!

Its a rented property so we can't install meters without the landlord's consent. (We also have a 10ft pool in the back garden so a meter is definitely not an option).

Wouldn't mind about a gas card meter going in. They would be quite useful. We are already on electricity card meter.

An answer from anyone re water and tv licence would be appreciated.

In the meantime, I have just spoken to council regarding (the dreaded) council tax as a liability order has just been issued and the bailiffs will probably be knocking on the door any day. The lady there said that as a liability order has been issued, then all of this years council tax is to be included in the br and I won't have to start paying it until April next year!! :lol:

A year council tax free - that is quite awesome. Sugars the bitter bankruptcy pill!
By Joannec
#8410 Haven't told the landlord yet but he won't have a problem. The rent is up to date and he's a very mellow kind of guy. We have the tenancy agreement and forgot to give him a copy so could always doctor it if necessary! :wink:

Not that I would, of course!
ByDavidc
Joannec wrote:Thanks for your replies.

Regarding the gas bill - I can't get this up to date before I go br. I will change supplier and put it in my oh's name I think.

Water, I hate these bas***rds as they have already given me a ccj for non-payment a few years ago. This was when it had been owed for about 6 months. If they can't cut me off, they can swing!

Its a rented property so we can't install meters without the landlord's consent. (We also have a 10ft pool in the back garden so a meter is definitely not an option).

Wouldn't mind about a gas card meter going in. They would be quite useful. We are already on electricity card meter.

An answer from anyone re water and tv licence would be appreciated.

In the meantime, I have just spoken to council regarding (the dreaded) council tax as a liability order has just been issued and the bailiffs will probably be knocking on the door any day. The lady there said that as a liability order has been issued, then all of this years council tax is to be included in the br and I won't have to start paying it until April next year!! :lol:

A year council tax free - that is quite awesome. Sugars the bitter bankruptcy pill!

A strange thing happend with my council tax. I paid for the full year in advance to help clear down my bank account before petitioning.....somehow I do not know how the council became aware of my bankrupcy and told me that as I had no liability for the year they had refunded it to my bankrupcy estate £1200 if I remember.And I have never heard of the council being notified. I do not live in council property....Bummer really I could have had another holiday.
I do not understand why you can't have a meter put in the front garden . Mine is under the stairs.
David
By Joannec
#8445 I just don't want a water meter, it would cost more money. As I said above, we've just bought a big paddling pool for our little girl. Well, I say for our little girl, my OH has spent more time in it than she has! :lol: plus with at least 2 baths a day and a shower a day, the water bill would cost a fortune!

I might give the water a ring and see what they are likely to do.
ByDavidc
Joannec wrote:I just don't want a water meter, it would cost more money. As I said above, we've just bought a big paddling pool for our little girl. Well, I say for our little girl, my OH has spent more time in it than she has! :lol: plus with at least 2 baths a day and a shower a day, the water bill would cost a fortune!

I might give the water a ring and see what they are likely to do.

No it was me that misunderstood I thoought you meant you could not have a new pre- payment electricity meter because you had a pool in the back garden......something to do do with mixing water and electricity.
David
By Joannec
#8448 :lol: