Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By sunshine
#8293 hiya...

I am filling in the form...and I did get an answer on here the other day but I have lost track of where that thread went....

I need to know the value I should put next to...washer...cooker...fridge...microwave....tv...dvd...video...settee...canvas wardrobe....

I think someone said put £200 for the lot...would this be okay or would I have to list them priced separately....

The computer was bought by my brother and though I use it it is not mine but I do not have the receipt with his name on....it is old anyway now...

shall I list it or put brother lent it to me....

I think once I have this then I am all set for monday....

thanks

Sunshine
ByDavidc
sunshine wrote:hiya...

I am filling in the form...and I did get an answer on here the other day but I have lost track of where that thread went....

I need to know the value I should put next to...washer...cooker...fridge...microwave....tv...dvd...video...settee...canvas wardrobe....

I think someone said put £200 for the lot...would this be okay or would I have to list them priced separately....

The computer was bought by my brother and though I use it it is not mine but I do not have the receipt with his name on....it is old anyway now...

shall I list it or put brother lent it to me....

I think once I have this then I am all set for monday....

thanks

Sunshine

sunshine............try nothing of any value
I will give you £10 for the lot............more than the OR will get
David
By sunshine
#8297 hiya

what shall I write "nothing of value"
By TalbotWoods
#8298 Hi Sunshine

You do not have to list evey household item, I was advised to put the following, by a retired OR, who now works at our local CAB:

He also told me not to list evey item indiidually, just write in the respective boxes Details ............Amount

* Household Furniture and Effects..........................about £200
* Clothing and Personal Effects ............................about £100

Tim
By JaneClack
#8315 Sunshine - we look forward to your post on Monday when you have done this - doesn't mean you cannot post before - but the euphoria you will feel when you have done this we wish to share :wink:
By sunshine
#8330 hiya Sarah

I am just sorting out my paper work...I will email on here as soon as I am back...

Does anyone know when it will be in the paper...?

Also does anyone have certain questions they ask the court on the day....I am going to ask about creditors still coming at me....when I can open a bank account...
By Pineapple
sunshine wrote:hiya Sarah

I am just sorting out my paper work...I will email on here as soon as I am back...

Also does anyone have certain questions they ask the court on the day....I am going to ask about creditors still coming at me....when I can open a bank account...

In the paper a few days after you petition - apparently, they group bankrupts into an entry every few days. I never actually saw mine though.

You don't really get the opportunity to ask the court anything, as it's just a rubber-stamping process, and you may not even see the judge. You will speak to someone from the OR's office after the court session. Otherwise at your interview.

I've seen advice that you should wait a day to open a bank account, but I did both of mine the same day and it worked out OK.
By Mel_Odious
sunshine wrote:hiya Sarah

Hi Sunshine,
Quite honestly, I wouldn't trouble the Judge. S/he would probably suggest you speak about this with the Official Receiver.

The point being that the Judge will expect you to know all about the steps you are about to take and may well ask you if you have taken expert advice on bankruptcy. You do not want it to appear that you are unsure about things.

I think we have already answered these questions although some have said leave it a day before opening a new account.

Creditors should not trouble you and if they do you tell them you are now bankrupt and give them your case number and OR's details.
You can open a new bank account from the moment you are made bankrupt as long as you tell them you are bankrupt. There have been rare occasions where the new bank account was frozen but this should be unfrozen once you explain; that is why some people say leave it until the next day after the date of your BO.

Mel

Mel
By gerry
#8375 Hi Mel- odious

It would help me out if I thought we could apply for a bank account on the day we go bankrupt 28/06/05 at 9:00am.

So are you saying that I could apply for a Co-op basic account on the same day??

One of our accounts that will be frozen due to Brpt witll be a Co-op acount privilege owing £100.

It would help us out if we thought we could both apply for a basic joint account on the same day - one less day to be taken off work.

we would also have peace of mind knowing that I have another account to get our salaries paid into.

So we just have to tell them we are BRPT and give them the case number??

Please advise

GERRY
By Mel_Odious
gerry wrote:
So we just have to tell them we are BRPT and give them the case number??

GERRY

That's all Gerry.
It appears you may have a Co-op branch close by; so yes, make the application as soon as you can after being made bankrupt. Please make sure it is the Cashminder account the bank person applies for. They get nothing out of this basic account and the clerk may want to push you onto a regular account which of course you will fail a credit check.
I can't remember 3 years back (mind you I have difficulty in remembering what I did yesterday) but I must have applied online or by 'phone as I don't have a Co-op branch near to me. I think I recall someone saying they got all the account details there and then. If this is to be the case make sure you take all the usual ID proof banks now need,
such as passport, Driving Licence and utility bills with your address on.

Mel