Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Byliverpoolcherries
#8064 I just wanted to know that because your utilities cannot be in your name when you go bankrupt, can you have them back in your name once discharged? This may determine when I go for the big B as all the bills are in my name and I can't see anyone taking them over for ever

liverpoolcherries
ByMel_Odious
liverpoolcherries wrote:I just wanted to know that because your utilities cannot be in your name when you go bankrupt, can you have them back in your name once discharged? This may determine when I go for the big B as all the bills are in my name and I can't see anyone taking them over for ever

liverpoolcherries

They CAN be in your name! Who said otherwise?
What you must do is make sure they are paid up-to-date, then they don't even have to be mentioned in your list of debts and may never know of your bankruptcy. The difference is, if you owe money, then they will have to be mentioned so then you may have difficulties in getting future supplies and may have to pay a deposit or have a card or key meter installed.

Mel
Byliverpoolcherries
#8066 Mel
Thanks
I thought I read somewhere that you had to declare them and put them in someone else's name for the duration of the bankruptcy, but come to think of it it may well only have been BT.

liverpoolcherries
ByMel_Odious
liverpoolcherries wrote:Mel
Thanks
I thought I read somewhere that you had to declare them and put them in someone else's name for the duration of the bankruptcy, but come to think of it it may well only have been BT.

liverpoolcherries

no, angel,
I think what you may have read is of people that owed money to gas, leccie or BT. So if they owed, then they would have to be declared and of course then when the companies learnt from the OR that you were bankrupt and the debt included then you may have difficulty getting the supply and so it would have to be in someone elses name. If you can get all the bills up to date or even in credit you'll have no worries.

Mel
Byliverpoolcherries
#8068 Thanks Mel that's a great relief. Now all I have to worry about is the landlord! Although I don't owe any rent at all I will just have to keep my fingers crossed that the OR doesn't tell him.

liverpoolcherries
ByMel_Odious
liverpoolcherries wrote:Thanks Mel that's a great relief. Now all I have to worry about is the landlord! Although I don't owe any rent at all I will just have to keep my fingers crossed that the OR doesn't tell him.

liverpoolcherries

I don't think they actually tell the Landlord but may contact him/her to confirm the rent and that is how they may learn plus of course, it will be in the local paper with your address. I am not trying to scare you but you have to be aware of what COULD happen. My OR asked me if there was any problem in contacting my landlord, who at the time was also my employer and I said "no". Then he said well there is no reason anyway because I didn't pay any rent. (Flat went with my job, then)
Have a look at your tenancy agreement if you have such a thing and that may not mention anything about bankruptcy. Now I'm with the Council and it didn't seem to bother them or the utilities come to that.

Mel
Byliverpoolcherries
#8070 Mel
I have a bog standard assured tenancy agreement which I think can be bought in any stationery shop so (although I skimmed it to see what I was responsible for) I doubt that bankruptcy is mentioned. My bank statements show the rent going out in any case. Also the agreement is for 6 months initially and I am due to sign again in July for 12 months so I think I should get that out of the way first because it might give him a cast iron excuse not to extend the tenancy and with 3 kids I can't afford to be out on the street, particularly as in this area it is a minimum of 3 months in a homeless hostel before they get round to deciding where they can put you.

liverpoolcherries
ByMel_Odious
#8072 I know it's murder, the housing I mean. I reached 65 and although I had a flat with my job, I wanted the security as I knew one day I wouldn't be fit to work so needed a flat of my own. The Council were trying to tell me I was making myself deliberately homeless. I had to have murders with them before they'd find me somewhere. I am now in a supported block full of ancient and foreign bodies :( It's OK as they let me keep my job on and I work part time afternoons only and it's not too far away.
When I was living with my second wife we also became homeless one time and was put in B&B and it was horrific, so I know a little about that also. Surely you must be priority with 3 kids though for a Council House. If it was me, I'd be up there with the children every day nagging them. I know it's easy for me to say but you do have to keep on at 'em. Somebody told me once and it's true; take a day trip to France and come back as an illegal immigrant and get looked after!
Mel (admin delete this if you want to :D )
Bylitepurple
#8085 My experience was to pay all the utilities slightly in credit plus take a copy of my tennancy agreement to the OR interview. That seemed to be enough for the OR who didn't contact any of them.
Byliverpoolcherries
#8125 Thanks all for your replies.

I will take your advice litepurple and take everything with me if I get a face to face interview and send copies if it is a telephone one, I don't know what they do here yet. I am going to get the papers from the court today so will find out.

Mel, I have been on the list for accommodation since August of last year and haven't been offered anything despite being repossessed. They tend to think that if you are working that you can sort yourself out and that your need is greater if you are on benefits. I really wouldn't want to drag my kids and beg with them because of the loss of dignity involved and that is about the only thing I am trying desperately to hang on to, old Tory though that makes me sound.

Admin are welcome to delete this if they think it too inflammatory also.

liverpoolcherries