Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By liverpoolcherries
#8041 mt

Child benefit can be paid into a post office account if you choose and they can do it over the phone and need very little notice.

liverpoolcherries
By mt
#8055 I don't have a post office account. And even if I did, that would be frozen too, wouldn't it?
By Mel_Odious
mt wrote:I don't have a post office account. And even if I did, that would be frozen too, wouldn't it?

Now you mention it, I don't recall seeing a Post Office account being frozen.
Anybody know for sure?

Mel
By liverpoolcherries
#8061 I wouldn't have thought they could due to it being for benefits.

liverpoolcherries
By TalbotWoods
mt wrote:I don't have a post office account. And even if I did, that would be frozen too, wouldn't it?

According to someone I know, it is frozen until they recieve a letter from the OR stateing that he has no interest in the account. It is then released back. During the frozen period you cannot take money out and they cannot pay benefits in, so if on benefits it is a wise step to arrange a couple to be paid by Giro

TW
By Nicky
#8075 All assets are frozen so I would think that does include a post office account.
By steveo
Nicky wrote:All assets are frozen so I would think that does include a post office account.

i should think it would be frozen along with any other accounts. after all you could have stashed thousands in there for all the OR knows.

However, my OR said that they were not to bothered if you were bankrupt when looking for new accounts to open.
By mt
#8112 A couple of questions please: Is it okay to open a new basic account on the same day after the bankruptcy order is made? Also, presumably I can then get the Child Benefit people to put the money in my new account? And that's all above board?
By clarkeee5
#8117 Hi, I went B a couple of months ago, but before I did I emailed the people at the child benefit place see link below.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/

then click on 'Report changes Online'.
' Tell us about a change in circumstances'

And so on and so on.

I did this and my next child benefit payment was by cheque that I cash at the post office and will continue to be like that untill I tell them my new bank details.

Found it all very easy..
Good Luck
By mt
#8139 Thanks for that clarke. I'll do that now.
By homely
#8180 to mt you asked if you could open an account the same day the bankruptcy order was made.well we opened up our nationwide account 2 hours after the judge declared us bankrupt
By mt
#8181 I did the online thing re: child benefit and somebody from their office rang me to say that I can always put it on hold until I have the new bank details available. So that's what I've done for now.

Thanks homely for that info. I'll open one tomorrow afternoon then.
By sparrish
#8383 I contacted all of my creditors and wrote a letter explaining my situation. I also enclosed a budget planner that showed how much money I had and where it was going. I also included cheques in each one. Every single creditor cashed the cheque and then contacted me and harrassed me for the balance. Thay all claimed not to have received the letter despite the fact that they cashed the cheque enclcosed!

Lovely, and they wonder why bankruptcies are on the up.
ByDavidc
Mel_Odious wrote:

Now you mention it, I don't recall seeing a Post Office account being frozen.
Anybody know for sure?

As it can only be used for reciept of benefits I do not think so either.
David

Mel