Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By sunshine
#7701 Hiya

I have phoned the bank and told them I am going bankrupt....they told me to hand in my cheque books....the thing is I shredded one and the others are a mess with stubbs missing....and some I have not even written on the stubbs....

what can I do....
ByDavidc
sunshine wrote:Hiya

I have phoned the bank and told them I am going bankrupt....they told me to hand in my cheque books....the thing is I shredded one and the others are a mess with stubbs missing....and some I have not even written on the stubbs....

what can I do....

If you do not see why you have phoned the bank, but whatever. Just send back any unused cheques. That is what the Official reciever would ask you to do together with any plastic , but if you have destroyed them you have destroyed them end of story no problem.
David
By sunshine
#7703 hiya...

Davidc thanks for your help...I know Bankruptcy is serious...and of course I am worried but when I hear of people been through it, it seems that they wondered why they got so worried in the first place...

So is this the case that there is nothing to worry about...

can you also answer this for me...I will phone the court on monday to find out but wondered if you know....I was told I would be met by a person of the court then taken to the judge and then I would have a phone conversation...what happens on the phone conversation and for how long...

I was told I would be in at 9.30 and out for 11.30...
ByDavidc
sunshine wrote:hiya...

Davidc thanks for your help...I know Bankruptcy is serious...and of course I am worried but when I hear of people been through it, it seems that they wondered why they got so worried in the first place...

So is this the case that there is nothing to worry about...

can you also answer this for me...I will phone the court on monday to find out but wondered if you know....I was told I would be met by a person of the court then taken to the judge and then I would have a phone conversation...what happens on the phone conversation and for how long...

I was told I would be in at 9.30 and out for 11.30...

Just forget about the cheques it is not a problem. you will have made an appoitment and when you announce yourself there a clerk to the court will sit you in an office and check through all of your paperwork and then ask you to sign it and will witness it. He will take your money off you and in all chnces will take the paperwork into the judges chambers in between cases who will sign and date them. The clerk will return to you and will tell you that as of Time and date you are declared bankrupt. He will then phone up the offices of the official reciever who will ask you details of your bank accounts. In theory at this point he should fax the branches to freeze the accounts but if that does not happen immediatly, not your problm. He will ask you ask you to leave any cheque books or plastic you may have.
An appointment will be made for either a face to face or telephone interview with you and then you leave the court job done.
I would agree you will be out of there by 11:30 or before.
David
By sunshine
#7711 hiya...

Can you tell me what I should take with me....council rent agreement....what other stuff because I want to be able to not have to go back....

You say they fax the companies....I take it that they have the fax numbers to businesses....
ByDavidc
sunshine wrote:hiya...

Can you tell me what I should take with me....council rent agreement....what other stuff because I want to be able to not have to go back....

You say they fax the companies....I take it that they have the fax numbers to businesses....

Why would you need to produce your council tax agreement?
Just let the Official reciever do his job. When you are either called for interview or a telephone interview is arranged you will be given full details of what to produce. Many myself included had nothing as it is my practice to shred everything. In these cases the Official Reciever simply reqeusts such information that they require from the relevant creditor. They will be paid many thousands of pounds over the next months to administer your insolvancy let them do their job.
David