Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Bygarrywall
#7591 Someone I know is thinking of going bankrupt since her partner passed away three weeks ago. She was due to go on holiday to ibiza with him the week after he died but had to cancel for obvious reasons. She is looking to claim back the money through holiday insurance. Would she have to declare it to the OR/courts? Would they let her keep the money to book a holiday later and go with a friend seeing as the money for the holiday was a 40th birthday gift from her partners mother?
ByDavidc
garrywall wrote:Someone I know is thinking of going bankrupt since her partner passed away three weeks ago. She was due to go on holiday to ibiza with him the week after he died but had to cancel for obvious reasons. She is looking to claim back the money through holiday insurance. Would she have to declare it to the OR/courts? Would they let her keep the money to book a holiday later and go with a friend seeing as the money for the holiday was a 40th birthday gift from her partners mother?

I would not over complicate the issue and risk losing the money by mentioning it..
David
ByMel_Odious
#7598 I would be a little less reckless than DavidC as the payment would be by cheque from the insurance company and as the OR will have full control of the bank account this deposit of funds could be questioned.

Mel
ByDavidc
Mel_Odious wrote:I would be a little less reckless than DavidC as the payment would be by cheque from the insurance company and as the OR will have full control of the bank account this deposit of funds could be questioned.

Mel

Reckless??
I would say it was prudent to either sit on the cheque until your new bank account is open after you have petitioned or do not petition until after this cheque has cleared allowing you to do as recomended and withdraw all of your funds from your bank account before petitioning.
to do anything else will in all probability result in you losing the money.
David [/b]