Questions you have before making a decision to go Bankrupt and the Bankruptcy process

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Byhomely
#7503 it has been exactly 8 weeks since our br and i am aware that the or hasn't contacted them,mainly due to the phone calls and threatening letters saying that they'll take me to court(which is highly unlikely)or send a debt collector around,neither of these bother me but i do feel that 8 weeks is a long time and would like to know how long it could take (max)for the or to contact them.
ByMel_Odious
homely wrote:it has been exactly 8 weeks since our br and i am aware that the or hasn't contacted them,mainly due to the phone calls and threatening letters saying that they'll take me to court(which is highly unlikely)or send a debt collector around,neither of these bother me but i do feel that 8 weeks is a long time and would like to know how long it could take (max)for the or to contact them.

It shouldn't really take that long. Some companies don't tell their right hand what their left is doing though. You have a wonderful answer for them though like "Are you aware that asking a bankrupt to pay you money is against the Law and I will be reporting you to my Official Receiver?" That should shut them up. In fact you SHOULD inform the OR of these callers. Just quote your BO number and give them the OR's contact details. There is not a thing they can do to you now or ever.

Mel
ByPineapple
#7517 In my case it continued several months into my bankruptcy. This may be due to the fact that I was one of the first to go through the new system and the Insolvency Service [by their own admission] were confused about the new forms, etc and totally overloaded. Last week I even had two letters stating that my debt had been sold on - seven months after my discharge. :shock:

What was much more worrying was the contact from bailiffs about the same CCJ - twice I came home to find a note that one had called. But when I rang up to quote my BRO number he was quite jovial. :shock:

Don't worry - just keep quoting your BRO number and nothing bad will happen.
ByMRB
#7524 Can I suggest that you write a letter to each creditor with a copy of your BO and OR details. This should put a end to things. I have been Bankrupty 9 weeks now and the calls and letters stopped after about a month. But two accounts of mine are still open Cahoot and Egg although they know Im bankrupt I dont understand why. Someone I have lear'nt is that banks are very inefficient and the left does'nt know what the right is doing.
ByMel_Odious
MRB wrote:Can I suggest that you write a letter to each creditor with a copy of your BO and OR details. This should put a end to things. I have been Bankrupty 9 weeks now and the calls and letters stopped after about a month. But two accounts of mine are still open Cahoot and Egg although they know Im bankrupt I dont understand why. Someone I have lear'nt is that banks are very inefficient and the left does'nt know what the right is doing.

Cahoot were also bad with me and even after my discharge from bankruptcy, on checking my CRF, I saw that they had put the date of default, 14 months after my actual petition. I complained to Equifax about this. Equifax asked Cahoot to explain and as they did not respond in the set time, 28 days I think, Equifax have removed the Cahoot data from my CRF.

Mel
Byhomely
#7526 they were all notified the day after we went br and all the photocopies of the br were sent.one credit card company rang the other day,the man was very polite and stated that all he was querying was the date i went br as there was no date on their system,i told him and he said that the or needed to contact them soon,i explained that that had nothingto do with me and that they'd have to wait for him to contact and said goodbye
ByMel_Odious
#7527 You did right homely and as others have said, you really do not have a thing to worry about. One of the reasons that your bankruptcy is publicised online and in the local paper is for all creditors to come forward and place their claim. Even if they do not come foreward, every single debt you had before you petitioned is automatically included in your bankruptcy and they have no chance of getting a penny out of you and as I said before it is actually illegal for them to ask you for money.

Mel