Your views and questions.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By spaniel
#251093 Well, did my first food shop today and paid by cash. Makes you think twice what you actually need. Took my 6 year old grandson with me. He asked if I would buy him a new game for his DS. I said that I didn't have enough cash with me. He said "put it on your credit card"!
By sillytel
#251145 Hi Spaniel,
Fantastic response from a 6 year old.But really frightening.What's it going to be like in another 10years.I hate to think.It's getting harder for these youngsters and i really don't want to think what it's going to be like in another 12 months.Glad i am 62 and have a reasonable pension. With every thing going up megabucks just how are these kids going to manage,indeed how are their parents?
I have got 2 daughters and i just don't know how they are going to manage.
Glad to see you are progressing well and are sticking with this superb site.
Take care,
Sillytel
By DuffNCustard
#251153 have a little faith!

Cast your mind back - and mine goes back to the 1950's as little nipper whose Mum had to knit or sew all our clothes and whose dad had to grow as much fruit and veg in the garden as he could in order make ends meet. We didn't have central heating, fitted carpets or running hot water.

They couldn't afford to buy a house until the 1970's when I was in my teens - and then they had to bow and scrape to the building society having saved up for donkeys years - they managed and we grew up fine!

In the mid 1970's oil prices quadrupled and we had rampant inflation, redundancies and the 3 day week. In spite of all this I managed to buy a house and by living on beans somehow scraped together enough money each month to get by.

In the 1990s Mum and Dad are travelling the world as Dad's business really takes off. I've moved house 6 times and I send my boys to private school.

Life is good and some of it starts to get funded on easy credit - in 2007 I start my DMP. IN 2011 I've paid all my debts off

I still have my house, full time employment and a more than decent final salary pension with over 30 years worth of accruals! want for nothing and my boys are well set up - OK they're doing things their way BUT they will be just fine! and so will everyone elses. By the time my kids are my age maybe they'll be worrying about the next generation - that is in the nature of man but soemhow despite our best efforts they will also succeeed.

I truly hope that my legacy to the next generation is wisdom and the true values of this wonderful life.

neither of my boys owes anyone any money and neither of my boys has a credit card, they are shrewd and canny and have no intention of becoming enthralled to the financial services industry.
By JaneClack
#251183 My goodness Mrs Duff

It sounds just like my childhood - which was great except for when we lived in England and the frost was inside the windows - can you remember blankets with rime on where one had breathed and it had frozen? My father was in the Army and we travelled around so did benefit from central heating in Germany and wonderful CAMPING holidays (not so sure my mother was so keen!).

I agree with you and have five sons - one of whom has enough money to help his poor old widdered mother to renovate her house and the others are doing fine too - they really do know the value of money!
By chandjay
#251213 We were so poor that my mother had to take the bones out of her corsets to put in the stew.
By DuffNCustard
#251223 Yes - indeed I can and waking up in the morning and being fascinated by the fern patterns of the frost on the inside of the window.

Camping holidays? Gawd how I LOATHED them! Pa bought his first car when I was 9 and we went to Scotland. We did 'wild camping' because Pa was so ashamed of our 2 man ridge tent and makeshift tarpaulin he wouldn't take us on a proper camp site. My little bruv and I slept in the back of the estate car. It rained every day and we got eaten alive by midges.

The following year Pa went up market and bought a frame tent - hah he drilled us like a troop of soldiers, bawling and hollering if we weren't quick enough. The arriving and departing was awful but the bit in between was great - Little Bruv and Me would disappear all day buggering about and up to all sorts! Don't really remember what our Ma did, dinners were makeshift - fired spam, mash and a tin of peas that sort of thing so she didn't strain herself with the catering!
By DuffNCustard
chandjay wrote:We were so poor that my mother had to take the bones out of her corsets to put in the stew.

would they have been whalebone then?
By sillytel
#251273 Mrs Duff,
You are so entertaining and funny and i hope you stay around to cheer us long haulers(another 4 years to go on my DMP with CCCS.) up after you pay off all your debts later this year.
I,too,remember those days(62 years young).We had an outside loo and in the winter your rear got frozen to the toilet seat if you sat there too long, and i was bathed in a tin tub in a freezing cold kitchen.We are certainly spoiled these days that's for sure.
By spaniel
#251333 I too lived in a cold, draughty old house but we did have an inside bathroom. My dad got paid cash (this was before wages were paid into bank accounts). He gave mum his pay and she split it into various tins (food, telephone, coal etc). Anything left over was put towards a caravan holiday on the beach 10 miles from our house (we certainly didn't have a holiday every year). They never had any debts. I have set up tins now to put past for bills that I can't pay by STO/DD (eg car service, road tax, food, petrol). I am actually looking forward to taking control of my life again. My Payplan advisor (another lovely lady) telephoned me yesterday to go through final details. As soon as she receives my letter of authority, which should be today, she will then contact our creditors. If anyone is reading this post who is in debt and is not sure what to do about it then please contact Payplan immediately. I cannot recommend them highly enough. I wish I had sorted my debts out sooner. If I hadn't found this forum I would still be undecided what to do and sick with worry.
By spaniel
#252923 Update ......

Payplan have now contacted all my creditors. My husband received a letter from one of his creditors this morning confirming that interest has been frozen on the account (good news). Another creditor has written to inform him that they are passing on the debt and that the DCA will contact Payplan direct (hoorah!).
By JaneClack
#252943 Yes, that is good to know.

Just remember that a creditor can always refuse an offer but they cannot refuse to take your payment! and as you are paying them what you can afford it is showing good faith - whether you were doing it on your own or with a non fee-charging company!!
By spaniel
#258133 Hello - I am still in the land of the living and life is certainly less stressful than it was at the end of February. I can highly recommend Payplan, they have been amazing. Diary of events:

21 February - made initial contact with Payplan
23 February - Payplan contacted me to go through my debts etc
24 February - We sent letters to all of our creditors explaining our situation and enclosed a token payment
25 February - received Letter of Authority from Payplan
28 February - contact from Payplan. As soon as the Letter of Authority received they will contact all our creditors
02 March - received final I&E sheet from Payplan, signed and returned it
Then everything went quiet - Payplan couldn't do anything else until they received a payment from us to share between our creditors. This was received on 07 April - immediately Payplan contacted all our creditors. Out of 12 creditors, 3 are still pending, 2 rejected but we have received letters direct from them confirming acceptance of our offer ..... and they have agreed to 0% interest.

We have had very little contact from the creditors apart from the computer generated letters. Long may it last.

Living on a budget certainly takes a bit of getting used to. To start with I felt really vulnerable without having a credit card to fall back on. We now have a cashplus card which we use to put our food/petrol money on. BUT .. we now sleep at night and I no longer feel sick to my stomach. At the current rate we can afford to pay, our debts will be paid in 2059. Unfortunately I won't be here to celebrate!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know how things are progressing and thank you all again for your support.
By chandjay
#258143 HI Spaniel,
I'm glad to see that things are starting to improve.
One tip :- Don't bother too much about your creditors adding "interest" to your account in the early days. It doesn't really matter(as you say, you'll not be here in 2059).
What really matters in the early days, is that you get yourself sorted out, get back on an even keel, get your creditors used to accepting small payments, and start to live a stress free life once again.

Glad you got the Cash-plus card. I keep stashing spare money in ours, and it's surprising how it soon builds up.
We had so much in the Cash-plus the other week, that we went away for 4 days.
I daredn't tell you where we went, and in any case, you wouldn't believe me, even if I did tell you.(My wife burst into tears when we got there, she was so overwhelmed(silly sod).

Only three weeks to our holidays now, Yippee !!!!!!!!!!!
By spaniel
#258153 Hi Chandjay

Nice to hear from you. Don't think we will get away this year unless we live on beans and toast but will have the odd day out. I will miss my villa holidays courtesy of our numerous credit cards but peace of mind is more important. If hubby can get a better job then things will change - might do an IVA. Problem is he ain't getting any younger!

I am intrigued where you and your wife went away for 4 days - you are such a romantic. Have a great holiday (in 3 weeks) - I am envious.
By chandjay
#258163 Hi Spaniel,
A romantic, me !! - NO, definitely not.
My wife said she wanted to go there, so we went - Simple.. I wasn't gonna argue.
My wife with a lump hammer is not a pretty sight, believe me !
I like my knee-caps to be half way down my legs. It's easier to walk when they're there.