Your views and questions.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By mrgosht
#461423 Hi,

I need some advice regarding my debt with Lowell.
Lowell have bought my debt from T-mobile (Debt from 2011) for the amount of £707. I have asked for credit statements and contract which they have provided through the post.

I am looking to settle this debt in full , I offered half of the amount , £352 but they have emailed back stating that the most discount they offer is a 20% , which would get the debt down to £565. And they can look into setting up a payment plan, which I am not interested. I am interested in settling the debt in full.

Is there further way to negotiate or that is it?

Thanks in advance for your time and reply.
By TalbotWoods
#461473 Hi and welcome

Can we ask what type of debt this is for, and when did you first open the account.

Cheers

Tim
By mrgosht
TalbotWoods wrote:Hi and welcome

Can we ask what type of debt this is for, and when did you first open the account.

Cheers

Tim

The original debt was for T-mobile unpaid bills. I have received the following email from Lowell once asked for more details of my debt:

The balance is for a mobile which was connected to the T-Mobile network on 14 April 2009. The last payment received by T-Mobile was on 28 November 2010 for £48.34. The line was disconnected on 10 July 2011.

The balance consists of unpaid call charges and line rental totalling £183.49, and an Early Termination Fee (ETF) of £523.70. The ETF is calculated to reflect the remaining months of your contract which remain unpaid from the date of your account closure.

You have not entered in to a contract with Lowell. When you took out the account with T-Mobile you agreed to their terms and conditions; an element of which stated that your account and personal details may be passed on to debt collection agencies should the terms and conditions not be adhered to.

The balance has not been paid. Ownership of the debt has been transferred to Lowell.

The balance requested is a service agreement and not a credit agreement as defined by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Our client has no obligation to provide a signed agreement under the provisions of the Act.

In the case of mobile contracts, inserting the SIM card and usage of the equipment is taken as acceptance of the terms and conditions of the contract. Telecommunications accounts can be obtained by telephone, over the internet and by mail order and therefore, we are not obliged to provide you with a copy of any such agreement.

What would be the next step?
Thanks in advance for your time.
By TalbotWoods
#461983 Hi again

Somewhat surprised at the level of the ETF,

Can you say why you had to end the account early, as with an ETF so high, it smite that something has gone wrong; I have been sat hear pondering why it is so high and what was it one, and I cant work it out!.

With regards the outstanding charges and line rental, these are often enforced as being correctly due, so the ETF must be the part that need to be dealt with to sort this.

Tim