Information to help you deal with your CRF's

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By charfarley
#311283 For the past few months i have been recieving many debt and threatening letters for my adult 25 year old son at my address. He hasn't lived here since he was 17 years old and his last address was 200 miles from where I live I have no idea where he is now and have no idea why i'm suddenly receiving all manner of debt letters for him some of which have the debts dating back 4 years. I consistently contact the companies and tell them he does not live here and has not lived here ever as an adult but most, although saying they will look into it, continue to send threatening letters. Two have said they got my address from Xperian. I'm just not sure how that is possible? The latest debt for Sky arrived today and I know he had sky at his last permanent address and so why would sky give the debt company my address. The odd letter i could understand as an error but there is one arriving from different companies every other day. There is no phone number for xperian unless you pay to become a member. I have already had one bailiff turn up for my son who was abusive and threatening. Nobody is listening to me. Does anyone have any advice? Also, hasn't placing all his debts at my address ruined my own credit?

Thanks
By TalbotWoods
#311303 I'm sorry to say this is not unusual when someone vanishes off the creditors radar, they will start to hunt them down at any past or linked address, in particularity if the address is a parental address.

Before he dropped off the radar, his credit files will have shown his past addresses, any address he has been linked with, and any address where he has taken out a financial account, and that will include your home address, as he lived there in the past

Firstly, unless you and your son share the same full name and date of birth, then it will not (or rather should not affect your own credit file). So in that respect you should be OK.

Now as to why the visits, etc, it is because you have not returned the letter unopened and marked 'Not known at this address' they creditors and DCAs assume that if it is not returned then that is where the debtor is. This applies as it is technically illegal to open another person letters, but it is to late now, and what is done is done.

What you need to do now is WRITE to each of the creditors, using the account numbers they have quoted, stating that he is not there, you do not know where he is, and should they continue to hassle you then you WILL invoke a full complaint and refer the matter to both Trading Standards and Office of Fair Trading (OFT) for malpractice.

Deal with the ones who the Bailiff are collecting from FIRST, as the DCA or creditor will have a CCJ in place, and the Baliffs will continue to hassle. YOU MUST be very firm with that DCA or creditor and if you have told their representative before that he doesn't live their then ask for their FORMAL complaints procedure, and use it as this may be the only way to stop them.

This is going to be a bit of a battle I am afraid, between you and the creditors, but eventually you will win, and as some on here have done they have had some fun with them on the way!

Hopefully this has helped a bit, and please feel free to ask any other questions or ask for any other advice on here, that is what we are here for.

Tim
By michaelmac43
#313673 That's very good advice from Tim.

When I was negotiating with my own creditors a few years ago, it would often happen that I would get letters from debt collection agencies, and from solicitors, which clearly showed they were unaware of the facts of the case. For instance the company I owed money to would accept my offer and mark the debt as satisfied, but the collection agency or solicitors might continue to press me. I found the solution was as Tim said, to be firm and to do it all in writing.

I would usually imply in my letter that their latest letter was probably based on the fact that they had not been fully informed of the latest facts by their client.

Very often I had to repeat the same information several times to the same company before they got the message. They used to call this "the broken record scenario"; but I guess you have to be my age to understand that reference from the days of vinyl discs.