Information to help you deal with your CRF's

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By allmail1
#222170 I thought I would share this as I applied for a promotion that needed a cr check.....bad mistake
Equifax carry your discharge as a notice of correction.........That is on until you ask it to be removed..gives details of the bankrupcy....
They also had data 6 years past the default date. they were all settled and marked correctly....took the ICO to order them to do it following my discharge...but they were stil there for all to see.
Experian had removed the bankruptcy data but still showed the defaulted accounts after 6 years......
Same problem with call credit........
Equifax and Experian have immediatly removed the data No word yet from call credit as I have had to do it by post.....bank holiday and all that........
Hope that helps someone.....
errr did not get the job...
By TalbotWoods
#222245 Its because a Notice of Correction is n place, this (and its associated entries) remain until the person who requested it to be there requests its removal. No CRF automatically places a NoC on your file it can only be requested by the person whose file it is.

However I am surprised that the defaulted accounts remained past the six year point, but if these were associated with the bankruptcy, then these accounts could be associated with the NoC.

Most people have seen that these automatically drop off at the six year point, but most people do not put a NoC in place, and we do not recommend a NoC for two reasons:

1. They remain until you remove them

2. They prevent automated credit scoring

Tim
By allmail1
TalbotWoods wrote:Its because a Notice of Correction is n place, this (and its associated entries) remain until the person who requested it to be there requests its removal. No CRF automatically places a NoC on your file it can only be requested by the person whose file it is.

However I am surprised that the defaulted accounts remained past the six year point, but if these were associated with the bankruptcy, then these accounts could be associated with the NoC.

Most people have seen that these automatically drop off at the six year point, but most people do not put a NoC in place, and we do not recommend a NoC for two reasons:

1. They remain until you remove them

2. They prevent automated credit scoring

Tim

I did not ask for a notice of correction to be placed on the file. This is the way this company records your discharge when you send them that info. I am sure this has been mentioned on this site years ago.
but the moral is , just when you think when you have your file sorted after discharge with all the dates correct.......double check after 6 years to make sure all is clear.....
just a word from the wise.....
By DARIUS
#222334 Hi there,

Many thanks for your post. It was quite an interesting read.

My credit files are all updated, and the bankruptcy should come off my file next year. I was getting all excited, and really looking forward to it, but after reading your experience, I am now not so sure.

On my files the discharge from bankruptcy, isn't showing as a notice of correction, BUT, prior to my bankruptcy, I went down the IVA route, never paid anything to it, then decided to go with bankruptcy.

On my files now, the failed IVA, is showing as a notice of correction. When I questioned it with the credit agencies., they said that this is the first thing creditors see. I really have no idea what this means. But now after reading your post, how will it drop off next year when I did not put the notice of correction on???

Proper confused :?
By allmail1
#222450 My understanding is that anything put on as a notice of correction can be immediatly removed at your request.
I have had chance to view all files now equifax,experian and call credit....all have continued to display data six years past the default/settled date.....all have dropped them off like a hot potato when I advised them it was in breach of the consumer credit act.....no explanation of course as to why they were still there but the lesson to be learnt is to check ....and then check again.....
By red24
#222502 I did know that accounts 'drop off' the credit report after 6 years, but thinking about it a bit more, 6 years from when.
If we have been paying to creditors through Payplan since December 2005, when does the 6 year period start?
By allmail1
Sarah wrote:Basically from the moment the last default is issued. Default notices sit on a credit file for six years!

Should be removed automatically....but check as I have evidence that this does not always occur....easily corrected but just one more hurdle to jump before you get a "clear" credit file
By red24
#222655 OK I'm being really stupid, what do you mean the last default is issued. Is this the last letter from the creditor to say we defaulted, good god that could be anywhere. Seems its all going to 2011 - big party time.
By JaneClack
#222657 Right - lots of people receive letters saying notice of default. What it then goes on to say is that if the breach is not remedied within 14 days (and this is the payments missed to get it up to date unless there is an accelrated payment clause when it all becomes due) a default notice may be issued and placed on the credit file. This does not always happen.

However, when - and if - the default notice is placed on your credit file it will remain there for six years and then falls off. A debt can only be defaulted once as far as credit reference agencies are concerned.

A lot of creditors do not bother to do this in debt management plans but when they do is when they start their recovery cycle and that is generally when interest and charges will be frozen. However, this can also be when they start court action as they have to have done this before they can take any court action.
By red24
#222658 Thanks Sarah, clear as mud!
Could have getten a number of these but would never keep anything so don't know. I do understand what you mean though.

Apart from looking at your file to see, is there no other way of telling which debt there is still showing.
Mine will never be paid so it doesn't really matter to me, but what does new searches show - I ain't looking to get more credit, ever! just curious.
By JaneClack
#222660 I think it is the word "default" as one can default on a debt, get a letter threatening a "default notice", a "default notice" and then defaulting on a county court judgment..... I wish there was a different word!

If one is not interested in getting credit then it makes little difference to our day to day living. But others do hence the number of posts from people wanting to clear up their files after bankruptcy.
By allmail1
#222667 The default date will be shown on the credit file. In my case having this information correctly recorded was the first stage of tidying up my files...Following my discharge I with considerable help and enforcement action from the ICO had the accounts marked as settled, satisfied or partial. the balances marked as £0 and a more or less accurate default date recorded.....I then waited until the 6 years past the default date and ordered up the files again...They had not been automatically removed.....
They have now......