Information to help you deal with your CRF's

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Sherbo
#205948 Hi everybody

To cut a long story short I entered a DMP with CCCS in 2000.
I got my finances back in order and on checking my credit file I noticed a default still being registered from RBS.
I asked them for a copy of the original default notice but they could not supply as they are system generated. They did tell me that my Default Notice was served on me on the 1st Feburary 2001. They did not mark my file satisfied until July 2004.
I have written to them twice asking for the DF to be removed as the six year rule has passed. They refuse stating that I went into arrears with my DMP several times in 2001 though I dont understand that as I was paying CCCS a monthly payment and that is why they still wont remove the DF from my file.
Is it not law that a DF is removed after six years wether it is settled, satisfied or default notice issued whichever is earliest.
As my DF was issued on 1st Feb 2001 then it should be removed by now but they seem to be making up the rules as they go along.
I would appreciate any advice on my next step, cheers
Sherbo
By MD12345
#205949 Hi,

I am sure there are experts in this forum who will provie you with an accurate answer.
The reason I am writing to you is that, it seems that you have been on DMP since 2000. If you don't mind me asking you whether you have been able to clear your debt being on DMP.
I am also in DMP and it has been successfully running for 2.5 years. Completion will be in 2012. So just wanted to find out someone who has successfully competed a DMP and hence been debtfree.

Thanks
By Sherbo
#205955 HI there
I finished my DMP around 2004. I did this through re-mortgaging my house as I was lucky to have enough equity available, only downside is going from a moderate mortgage to a large one. As with my query do try and keep default notice dates safely as you can as some companies would have you blacklisted for ten yrs if they could. Good luck and roll on 2012!!

Sherbo
[Hquote="MD12345"]Hi,

I am sure there are experts in this forum who will provie you with an accurate answer.
The reason I am writing to you is that, it seems that you have been on DMP since 2000. If you don't mind me asking you whether you have been able to clear your debt being on DMP.
I am also in DMP and it has been successfully running for 2.5 years. Completion will be in 2012. So just wanted to find out someone who has successfully competed a DMP and hence been debtfree.

Thanks[/quote]
By Sherbo
#206824 Hi
The latest update is that as I was getting no satisfaction from RBS as they were making up rules as they went along I contacted The Financial Ombudsman Service for guidance. They immediately replied to me and also passed my concern onto RBS.
RBS wrote to me within a week confirming FOS had contacted them and they would investigate the matter and inform me within 10 days.
This they did but only to refuse to remove my Default again quoting different dates and figures from their previous correspondence. I phoned the contact name at RBS who insisted that they were following legislation with regards to Default Notices and though I was served a DF on 1st Feb 2001 the debt had not been settled until July 2004 and the 6yr bar would be taken from that date. I quoted the legislation from Equifax`s own website which states that the expiry date is when the debt is settled, written off or Default notice issued whichever was earliest.........
Silence........... I will need to make further enquiries was the reply. Within 3 days I received a 2 page apology from RBS saying that this episode has had to enforce a training issue at their Credit Management Team and they thanked me for the legislation I quoted them, I found this to be frightening!!!
Anyway they enclosed a cheque for £100 and informed me that my DF would be removed within 5 working days.