Information to help you deal with your CRF's

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By ref file issues
#187235 After much effort they now have me as showing on the electoral roll and my bankruptcy discharged.

Having a nightmare getting the account details showing as 'S' no later than discharge date (dd).

Some showing as 'S' before dd, some after dd, some still as 'D', some dates showing as in the 1890's!

Feel that I have come this far so I should finish the job but am losing the will to live!

I want my all my CRF's to be accurate - is it worth it for callcredit? if not now then concerned if they are used more by decision makers in the future...

Many thanks
By Yogi Bear
ref file issues wrote:I want my all my CRF's to be accurate - is it worth it for callcredit? if not now then concerned if they are used more by decision makers in the future...

Callcredit is at the moment the least-used of the three agencies and therefore the one you can safely leave till last - but it's also reportedly the least accurate of the three as well. :cry:

Public record information such as Electoral Register entries and CCJs is supplied to all three agencies, so that should have already been done for you. Sooner or later though I think you will have to get your file from them and tackle the rest of it, if only to avoid any unpleasant surpises in the future!
By ref file issues
#187276 Thanks I shall plough on, 2 questions please:

1) When I have contacted my former creditors concerning incorrect CRF data and they have actioned my request, it has always been performed correctly in my Equifax CRF (marked as 'S' prior to bankruptcy discharge date). However the callcredit CRF is either unchanged or the updates are always only showing as 'S' for the most recent month (i.e. they have not been marked as 'S' prior to my bankruptcy discharge date, just a string of 'D's). Is it my former creditor's responsibility to resolve even though it blatantly appears to be callcredit at fault?

2) A creditor has marked my outstanding balance to zero and stopped reporting on the account status, the last entry on my callcredit CRF is an 'OK' before my bankruptcy discharge date - is this acceptable? i.e. does this satisfy - "It is requested that you mark the account in some way as to indicate that it is settled or satisfied, in accordance with the Data Protection Act."

Thanks once again!
By ted the ferret
#187308 i think callcredit is pretty crap,MINT have corrected experian and equifax,but callcredit still showing defaulted,i spoke to mint and a very helpful lady said she had corrected my file TWICE with callcrap but even she had given up,think theyre on the wacky baccy,its seems such a tinpot firm,half hearted,could not give a toss as nobody bothers with them much,dont feel like wasting anotherFREEPOST envelope on them,but then again they have had my 2quid now they can earn it
By ref file issues
#187350 Almost makes me feel guilty contacting the Information Commissioner when it is clearly callcredit at fault... Still it's my former creditor's responsibility to sort it (everytime I have spoken to callcredit they've said they cannot do anything about account status's and that I need to contact my former creditors).
By Yogi Bear
ref file issues wrote:Almost makes me feel guilty contacting the Information Commissioner when it is clearly callcredit at fault... Still it's my former creditor's responsibility to sort it (everytime I have spoken to callcredit they've said they cannot do anything about account status's and that I need to contact my former creditors).

I wouldn't feel guilty at all about contacting the Information Commissioner over this. Under the Consumer Credit Act 1974, if you dispute an entry on your file, the onus is actually on the agency to contact the creditor to establish whether the entry is correct or not - they're not allowed to shift the responsibility onto you!
By ref file issues
#187371 Gotcha, I was thinking it was the other way round when the IC gets involved i.e. onus always on past creditor. Well in that case the IC it is, will give callcredit one more email chance to resolve this. Just didn't want to keep writing to former creditors to get this sorted, they've had their recorded letters sent, not doing anymore! Thanks for the continued advice everyone. Callcredit really are a shambles from my experience and seem incapable of updating accurately, trying to get the file corrected is just increasing the number of errors!!!
By TalbotWoods
#187372 Oh don't feel guilty about it,especially when the owners of CallCredit are the Skipton Building Society!!!

CallCredit was originally convinced as an in house CRA for the Skipton Building Societies group of companies, as they felt that the other two CRAs were to rigid in record keeping. Originally it only involved people who used or applied for one of their products.

They bulk purchased the information from the other CRAs on a 6 monthly basis (so their records only updated every six months. This was problematic to say the least as it didn't take into account any changes etc.

Later some of the very small creditors did start to inform them of account updates directly, and many of these were incorporated into the CallCredit datasets, if a conflict of information occurred they incorporated both sets of information WITHOUT verifying the validity of either.

Now they are bigger in size and it is all computerised, but still the manual intervention sis very small (in fact if you call them there is a good chance you will end up speaking to one of about 8 people!!!!), and that is where their problems lies, they wanted to create an all singing all dancing CRA for themselves, which relied on out of date information, and spurious information from multiple sources.

Until this is sorted they will always have an unreliable reporting system, and few creditors use them as a result. These faults are known, but cannot be addressed without major input.

When making a complaint to the ICO you must make it clear that the creditor has informed you that they have asked CallCredit to update, and that CallCredit has failed to do so.

OH and CallCredits normal method of updating when challenged by the ICO, they just delete the offending record!!

Tim
By ref file issues
#187382 Interesting stuff Tim - it's making sense now! - tempted though it is to ignore callcredit I'll get in touch with the IC and get this resolved, just in case callcredit one day get their act together and more companies start using them - cheers for your time