Information to help you deal with your CRF's

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By death angel
#472223 Who can access your credit files?

I have just checked my credit file with Equifax to check that our debts we cleared last year are all showing as settled.

My car insurance was due for renewal on the 15th of this month and as I am more than happy with my present insurer I never even bothered getting a quote of anyone else.

I was rather surprised to find a search had taken place on the 23/01/2015 by Eui Limited T/a Admiral.

This got me thinking who can legally access your credit file?
By JaneClack
#472224 The only people searching your credit file should be those you have given permission to - often in the small print. However, this does not seem like this.

The ICO - Information Commissioners Office has this to say:

Do companies need my consent to carry out a credit search?

The DPA doesn’t actually require these companies to have gained your consent before they can carry out a search of your credit file as long as they have a legitimate reason for doing so and you have been told that this search is going to take place. If you have taken out a loan or credit card you will probably find this in the original terms and conditions that you signed.

and later on there are comments re fraudulent use:

Searches on your credit file should not have a negative impact on your credit history. Lots of searches in a short space of time however can imply that you are having problems getting credit which, in itself, can impact an organisations decision about whether it will give you credit or not.

If you believe you have been a victim of fraud you should report it to the relevant fraud departments of the organisations involved. As fraud is a crime, you should consider reporting this issue to the police if they are not already aware.

The ICO cannot investigate matters of fraud as this falls outside of our remit, and we do not have the power to make a decision on whether or not an account has been opened and/or operated fraudulently.

If you have not looked for insurance elsewhere on the web and it is not a broker checking things on your behalf then I would suggest you take it further if you are concerned.