Information to help you deal with your CRF's

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By jpixels
#423253 Hi

I requested my data from CIFAS and saw a category 4 application fraud entry filed by HSBC! However this does not show up anywhere on my credit reports..is it possible CIFAS denied HSBC the request?

Someone tried to apply for a loan using my name and a fake address (it simply said the reason was I left out addresses)

Now, this was done entirely online, so how on earth can they put it down as FACT? It's not like I went in, in person and handed them forged documents?

Should I just leave it, since it does not appear on my credit files? I don't want to draw their attention to it, like oh yeah, we forgot to tell Experian lol

Also, how can I sue them in county court for forced removal? What type of claim would I need to make?
By TalbotWoods
#423363 Hi

Just a bit confused why your obtained your CIFAS report directly as there is no entry on your CRF. I appreciate the CIFAS entry may relate to the address and not you, but it is unusual for an individual to be made aware of an address Cat 4 warning, and would not normally affect you other than additional ID checking being required by a new lender against anyone living at that address

I am sorry but a category 4 indicates to ANY lender that at some stage in the past someone has attempted to obtain credit by fraudulent means and that application was detected as fraudulent and refused.

The difficulty of this category is that cannot discriminate if it was a total unknown person, a person acting on information gained from you or even you.

It is there to protect both lenders and YOU, if it was a case of pure identity ID theft and an attempt to obtain fund in your name, would you not prefer it if that was blocked on...remember the person attempting this will still have your details, so could attempt it. No mark the second time, then you accounts cleared out and a huge debt run up in your name.

As to how long is this data kept on your Credit File, well that depends on how long the fraudulent activity continues. Cifas organisations are able to extend the time a warning is placed against an person OR address to protect the person/address from fraud. In all cases, the warning remains on the database for at least a year from the date of the most recent fraud.

As to getting off your CRF, you need to initially talk to CIFAS themselves or the organisation (bank, etc) that placed it there, to seek advice, but as to the fact it is there, then providing Application Fraud has taken place, then that is correctly fact, and that CANNOT be removed from a CRF, but you can respond with a Notice of Correction to inform creditors that you were not the person who attempted this, it was in fact a case of stolen ID

You can find more information on this post

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25390

Tim
By jpixels
#423393 Hi

Thanks for that Talbot. I am SARing everyone right now, to get to the bottom of why I keep getting denied basic cash accounts. It seems originally, before I got a CIFAS, the addresses were simply out of date on my credit files and not corresponding with the info I was giving...now I have this headache

However I disagree with you about a cat4 being helpful to me, this is bull...they are basically branding me a fraudster. "The name is believed to be genuine (me in person) but with material falsehoods etc".

I did some research on their system and I understand it a lot better now. Basically a CIFAS is registered against an address and not an individual (confirm?) . I believe this is because some people may have the same name AND date of birth, it is possible, so an address is the unique identifier here.

This also explains why the CIFAS entry is not showing up on any of my credit reports. Because the fake address used is the prime ID, and it is not a linked address in my credit reports. I believe this is what sometimes people falsely think are 'hidden CIFAS'

I could probably leave this, because theoretically this is a completely different person, although with the same name and DOB.

What I am concerned about is, do banks search CIFAS directly with name and date of birth (not address), or do they search the credit files to look for CIFAS markers.
By TalbotWoods
#423423 A cat 4 will not the cause of you not getting a basic account, all the flag will do is tell the bank that they must do physical checks of your proofs of ID and ask for originals not photocopies. The flag tells them NOT to accept online applications, or accept to process unexpected applications.

In this case the flag is against the address, and that is anyone who lives at that address, or used to live there, and not you. If they suspected you then it would be on your credit file. The reason why they do the address is that some properties have more than one person living in, you will be surprised how often we here that my wife/partner/ex-girlfreind/ex-boyfriend/best mate/father/mother/postman/etc have attempted. It is actually one of the biggest forms of types of fraud in the UK, and nearly all of it goes unreported, because it can never be proven who actually did it.

If the fraud can be proved against a name, and there are also many instances where that does happen, then it is registered against the address and the individual, so yes it can be found on your CRF. Believe me it it was recorded on your CRF you would have major issues, in fact it would have been almost impossible to get hold of your SARs or even your CRF without sending them originals proofs.

The fact the address was used is enough is more than enough for HSBC to register, in fact they are legally obliged to do so.

And yes banks and all lenders that subscribe to CIFAS will automatically check it, but as I have said this will not be the reason why you are being refused, especcially as it is not on your CRF. So when you apply for something, the first thing they do is automatically check the person (You and your CRF) and secondly any CIFAS entry on the address. At this point the system will tell them that you are clear, but the address is not, so absolutely check IDs,etc, to confirm that the applicant is you.

So with a Cat 4, I STRONGLY suspect there is actually something else preventing your applications for accounts, and with basic accounts banks are very very funny about them, and will use any excuse to refuse you.

Tim
By jpixels
#423443 Thanks I feel a little better...

My last question is, do banks search the CIFAS database with an address as the input, or do they use my name and DOB...because if it the latter, they will be able to see this cat 4
By TalbotWoods
#423533 Both.

When they input the information it simultaneously searches at the same time, BUT the result comes back as you first then the address.

They would see there is no entry against you, but there is against the address, which then sets off the Check Original ID and double check the ID flag.

From what you have said, I suspect there is something else wrong as to why they are turning you down.

For example if you have debts with one side of the bank, such as with Halifax, it is not Worthing applying to Bank of Scotland as they are connected, so issues with one, may block the other sides.

OK I know this is for a basic account, but nearly all bank will still credit check to see if they can talk you into going up in accounts. If that is being rejected due bad debts, overstretched your cash, ect, that can 'influence' staff to say ' the computer says no'

Tip I would make though is do not try applying online for basic accounts, do it is in the bank, in person, take loads of IDs ect. That way they may be more inclined to say yes ..... Cos if you are doing it on line, even if you supply the right information, the Flag is up. They should refer to human staff to deal with, but I bet 99.9% of the time they will just go "Naw not interested!"