Share your money saving tips

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By death angel
#325073 My job takes me out on the road and lunch time usually means a visit to the nearest McDonalds, KFC, or Supermarket cafe.

I recently had to go on a two Day training course and we were told that lunch would not be provided. My wife suggested I take a packed lunch and a flask of coffee, which I did.

I have been doing that now for over 3 weeks and found that I am only spending 55p a day on a newspaper.

I have done a quick calculation and found that I will save at least £960 a year by taking a packed lunch and flask . That's quite a saving and another benefit is that I'm also losing weight.
Last edited by death angel on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DuffNCustard
#325483 Probably tastes a lot better too, and the added bonus of knowing what's in it - them old Shergar-burgers are a bit dodgy and those flabby old buns they slide them in - yeuch!
By TalbotWoods
#325863 Got to admit I used to do this, but gave up in the end. There are only so many years of that cheese sandwich you can stomach!
By DuffNCustard
#326003 My Mum bless her didn't believe in pampering us, so we had cheese most days of the week (grated so it went further), fishpaste and peanut butter and cucumber if there was a special offer on the peanut butter.

I used to make my lunchbox up the night before and keep it in the fridge. In the DMP days I had to forego the cream cheese and smoked salmon and had all sorts of variations on hard-boiled eggs and cheese and peanut butter. A real treat was haslet!
By TalbotWoods
#326063 Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Fishpaste, the spawn of Satan reincarnated

:ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:
By death angel
#326103 I'm also calling at my local news agent for my paper instead of a Supermarket so there's less temptation to hit the sweet counter or buy anything I don't really need.

I do miss my Jelly Babies though.
By DuffNCustard
#326123 I'm too mean to buy a paper - I read them online. I did this in the office too, when I was 'at work' - whiled away many a happy hour with the Daily Mail and The Telegraph (they don't require a subscription). The company laptop was configured to exclude adverts and that sort of crap - it was great!
By JaneClack
#326173 Back to fishpaste - that was truly vile!! Tuna and salad cream though - nice and we still eat haslet here in Lincolnshire and stuffed chine!