Share your money saving tips

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By DuffNCustard
#212353 We buy a large frozen chicken - Grampian from Iceland are the best as you get the giblets. Usually have 3 adults and 3 kids for Sunday lunch

Sunday: Roast chicken dinner 'full monty' - home made bread sauce, sausagemeat stuffing, gallons of gravy

Monday: Rubbish Pie - some of the cold chicken meat, stuffing and gravy all bunged in a pie made with shortcrust pastry. Usually have it with mash and warmed up gravy plus veggies. Make 2 pies - one getys bunged in the freezer ready to lump off to No 2 Infant at uni (red cross parcel)

Tuesday: Home made chicken soup - carcase of chicken boiled up in a pressure cooker to make stock. Soup made with a bit of butter and flour (roux) diced spuds and carrots, rice and leeks (aka jewish penicillin) and pluggers (dumplings!). We make enough to put several portions in the freezer

Wednesday Chicken Risotto - made with barley not that fancy-dancy italiano rice, some of the chicken stock, bits of chicken meat, bits of ham or bacon and chopped fresh parsley

Thursday - spittin' feathers!
By Iphigenia
#212356 I'm impressed!

I always do the soup thing after the roast but I like the idea of the rubbish pie and the risotto!

My Easter chicken made roast on the day, chicken and butterbean stew (meat and stock) and the stock today has done the chickpea stew.

need to catch you up though!
By DuffNCustard
#212367 The butter bean and chick pea stews sound delicious. I've never thought of doing chicken with butterbeans - I do a lamb stew with them when we get a BOGOFF or special offer on frozen legs of lamb in Tescoids ( feeds us for a week!) - Would you mind awfully running through how to do these stews - ta ever so
By Iphigenia
#212399 Here's the Chickpea one, because I posted it on another site. Guess you can tell by the details at the end that it's a diet site!
I'll try and remember how I did the chicken and butterbean one.
I'll look out for the frozen legs of lamb, never done them with butterbeans. mmmmmm

1 Tbsp olive oil
10oz raw onion
4.5 oz courgette cubed
8 oz potato cubed

Fry all the above.

Add 1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can drained chickpeas
1.25 tsp ground cumin
1.25 tsp ground ginger
.75 tsp ground coriander
.25 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp sugar
.5 tsp salt
.25 tsp ground black pepper
1 oz pecan nut bits
1 cup home made chicken stock

Simmer until soft. The potatoes took a surprisingly long time but it was worth the wait!

Makes 4 good helpings, and is great with couscous.

Calories 347
Fat 11.4
Fibre 10.4
Protein 11.5
(just the stew, not the couscous)
By DuffNCustard
#212401 Great - thank you!
I brown the leg of lamb in a big cast iron pot, take it out and set it aside whilst I fry up a few sliced onions (we like lots of onion) until they have caramelised, then the lamb goes back in and I pour on boiling water, add the pre-soaked butter beans (I use 2 packets!) and some spuds - top up with water again and then crumble in at least 5 oxo cubes. I also chuck in some peppercorns and a couple of bay leaves. Cooks really slowly for about 3 - 4 hours with the lid on. If you've got a big enough pot you can do pluggers too. Lovely-bust-a-gut grub and the helpings left over warm up good in the microwave.

Sometimes if there's a lot of gravy I thicken it up with a bit of granular gravy mix

I used to buy neck of lamb - but its more expensive than the old frozen NZ legs of lamb.

If we have had a roast leg of lamb on Sunday (bought at our butcher and English) I brew up the bone afterwards in the pressure cooker to make stock. When its done I scrape all the bits of meat into the broth and this then gets frozen ready for the next lamb and butter bean number.
By Iphigenia
#212415 That lamb sounds good!

Chicken and Butterbean Thing

Fry 3oz onion in 2 Tbsp olive oil

add
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander
a moderate shake of hot chili flakes
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
a cinnamon stick
3 oz potato, cubed
12 oz butternut squash, cubed
cook a bit
add
6 oz cooked chicken
1 15oz can butterbeans, drained
2 cups real chicken stock
1Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup dessicated coconut

cook it all down, divide into 4 and eat.