Share your money saving tips

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

BySmudge
#191226 Due to living in a remote part of Staffordshire, we have been unable to receive Channel 5 since it was launched 10+ years ago. Have Sky TV downstairs, but wanted to have more channels upstairs, looked into Freeview - but not available in my area until 2011!!!! - which is when the digital switch over is.....

So, only option is sky multi-room. Which would involve ser top box of £150 + £10 a month - which I kinda resent as I would be happy with Freeview which would be about £30 :D My other problem, is that we're also out of the area for sky phone and sky broadband - if I could have the complete package then I would be saving money and the £10 a month for the multi room would not be an issue.

So, anyone had any success with negiotating with sky over the price due to lack of availability of their other services? What do you reckon my chances area?
Byred24
#191258 Good luck with your negotiating. We had Sky TV and wanted to have the complete package, we lived in North London and the service wasn't available! Only London after all!
Sky weren't interested at all, couldn't provide the service!
BySmudge
#191260 That's terrible for North London. I kindof undestand the lack of coverage where I am - next door is half a mile away!!
Byuphillstruggle
#191291 There is another way... if, like you said, you'd be happy with only the free channels in your second room.

First take the existing coax feed from your satellite dish and run it through a splitter. Then run cable to your second room. In your second room you'll obviously need a second sky box - get one off of ebay/freeads etc. This second box should now receive all the totally free channels.

If you can get hold of a second sky card, even one without a subscription, I think this opens up even more free channels.

Some google searching should enable you to fill in the gaps in this brief summary.
BySmudge
uphillstruggle wrote:There is another way... if, like you said, you'd be happy with only the free channels in your second room.

First take the existing coax feed from your satellite dish and run it through a splitter satellite dish is on the roof, hidden behind the chimney pot - joys of being in the Peak Park! Can't be visible from the road..... don't get me started on the limited number of colours we can paid the front door, UPVC windows/doors not allowed either.. Then run cable to your second room. In your second room you'll obviously need a second sky box - get one off of ebay/freeads etc. This second box should now receive all the totally free channels.

If you can get hold of a second sky card, even one without a subscription, I think this opens up even more free channels.

Some google searching should enable you to fill in the gaps in this brief summary.

OK, so if sky don't respond with something nice - and I'm not holding my breath, need to talk someone into going up on the roof for me :D

Seriously, thanks for the advice, will do some google searches this weekend and see what else I can find out.
By£76K
#191579 Are you single or live alone? If not get your O/H to open an account with Sky, get Sky+, multi room for the total £55 per month full package, should be about £50-£100 all in. Then cancel your account. Chuck the guy who is installing £20, cuppa, bacon buttie & ask them to drop you another cable off the dish & just leave tied up or connect to your existing box if they will. Either you or the engineer connect up you then have full sky in 2 rooms & freeview in a third for £50-£100. If you don't want the third box, ebay it.
By£76K
#191580 Oh & do you know anyone else with Sky get them to refer you & you both get £50 in vouchers, if not look on moeny savingexpert forums for a referal
ByP and P
#191875 Oh Good, as a complete forum newbie I've found something that I can actually contribute advise to!

I'm an ex Sky engineer and then had my own TV Aerial business for a spell. There are quite a few different options out there.

If the room upstairs is your own bedroom, or basically you'd be happy to watch the same sky channel upstairs at the same time as downstairs then you can simply install a 'TV Link' which is simply a wire from the back of your main sky box to the upstairs TV which will show whatever channel is on the main tv upstairs (you can use a special tv-link amplifier and run to more rooms too). With a special 'Link-EYE' available from about £6. like these on fleabay (cut and paste) http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search. ... le=tv+link
You can also change the channel on the second TV, but it will also change the channel on the downstairs tv too.

Although these are fittable by the competent DIY-er it may be worth paying a local aerial services company to do it for you ( used to charge about £40 but was probably too cheap) as they can run wires through walls and help avoid cross modulation (interference) with outher channels.

Freesat is also a good option, but please DONT think you can just split the downfeed from your dish to a second box, this simply isn't possible as the satelite downfeed has voltage, and a High/Low frequency and Horizontal and Vertical polorizations and therefore cannot be shared, that's why when SKY install multiroom they put a twin or quad output LNB on the end of your dish and run a second cable from the new LNB to your new box.

You say you can't get channel 5 in your area, but if the free channels are all you want and you can find the investment then it may be possible with a 'Big Rig' aerial and masthead amplifier. However these don't come cheap and you may need a 20ft pole, guyropes etc and should only be done by a member of the CAE (confederation of Aerial industries) with a special digital aerial meter.

If you have broadband, you can watch a lot of the output from the Beeb, Channel 4 and ITV on their various 'players'

And finally if you have digital cable or have ever had cable in the house then I understand there are boxes that will show all the channels available from fleabay (try doing a search for eurovox3) however my limited understanding is that although legal to own and watch free to air channels you would be comitting an offence to switch to a channel that you don not subscribe to so clearly I'm not advocating the use of such a box :wink:

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
By£76K
#192044 P&P these Eurovox boxes. Can they run off a Sky feed?
BySouthernguy1976
#192045 No they dont, only run off cable companies, ie virgin, NTL telewest etc.
BySmudge
P and P wrote:Oh Good, as a complete forum newbie I've found something that I can actually contribute advise to!

I'm an ex Sky engineer and then had my own TV Aerial business for a spell. There are quite a few different options out there.

If the room upstairs is your own bedroom, or basically you'd be happy to watch the same sky channel upstairs at the same time as downstairs then you can simply install a 'TV Link' which is simply a wire from the back of your main sky box to the upstairs TV which will show whatever channel is on the main tv upstairs (you can use a special tv-link amplifier and run to more rooms too). With a special 'Link-EYE' available from about £6. like these on fleabay (cut and paste) http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search. ... le=tv+link
You can also change the channel on the second TV, but it will also change the channel on the downstairs tv too.

Although these are fittable by the competent DIY-er it may be worth paying a local aerial services company to do it for you ( used to charge about £40 but was probably too cheap) as they can run wires through walls and help avoid cross modulation (interference) with outher channels.

Freesat is also a good option, but please DONT think you can just split the downfeed from your dish to a second box, this simply isn't possible as the satelite downfeed has voltage, and a High/Low frequency and Horizontal and Vertical polorizations and therefore cannot be shared, that's why when SKY install multiroom they put a twin or quad output LNB on the end of your dish and run a second cable from the new LNB to your new box.

You say you can't get channel 5 in your area, but if the free channels are all you want and you can find the investment then it may be possible with a 'Big Rig' aerial and masthead amplifier. However these don't come cheap and you may need a 20ft pole, guyropes etc and should only be done by a member of the CAE (confederation of Aerial industries) with a special digital aerial meter.

If you have broadband, you can watch a lot of the output from the Beeb, Channel 4 and ITV on their various 'players'

And finally if you have digital cable or have ever had cable in the house then I understand there are boxes that will show all the channels available from fleabay (try doing a search for eurovox3) however my limited understanding is that although legal to own and watch free to air channels you would be comitting an offence to switch to a channel that you don not subscribe to so clearly I'm not advocating the use of such a box :wink:

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Thanks for this it's a great help. It is for my bedroom, and I don't fancy watching the same channels as my mother downstairs (24 hour craft/card making not my thing :D ) so the splitter is out. I thinking of freesat, don't think the Peak Park would give planning permission for the 20ft pole!
ByGazza1912
Smudge wrote:Found an alternative, anyone used freesat from Sky?

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/
For £150,00 Freeview has to be a better option if only you could get it.
ByP and P
#195220 Sorry I've been away, I'm new and been busy for about three weeks getting figures together --

Anyways, as an update "someone we know" (wink) has had their eurovox box suddenly stop working so caution there, not a huge problem as they really didn't watch it anyway!

Not sure if it's just "their" box or whether Virgin have managed to put a stop to it!
BySouthernguy1976
#195276 Hi,

Yes this happens from time to time with all of these boxes ie Starview, eurovox etc.

All you need to do to get them working again is to download the new firmware or update the codes on the boxes.

Virgin do this everynow and then to stop these boxes, but there are ways around it, not saying you should tho lol