Share your money saving tips

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Bright Future
#171352 Can anyone advise on budgeting for dental costs?

I'm on a DMP which has an allowance for dental costs. Is it best to get an insurance plan or pay as you go? I doubt I'll get an NHS dentist so I'm planning to have to go private.
By Iphigenia
#171356 I had to go private when I came here 5+ years ago, no nhs available. He set me up with Denplan, currently about £260 a year but it covers everything normal ~ checkups, fillings, extractions, crowns, hygienist etc. Teeth like mine, it's worth it.

I put £20 a month in the i and e, added a footnote in Section 13 that no nhs was available, and there was no problem with the OR.
By Yogi Bear
#171379 I include pay-as-you-go dental costs on my DMP, and have to go privately. When I looked into the costs of dental insurance, I found that unless I needed a lot of expensive dental work done unexpectedly, it wasn't a very cost-effective way of paying.
By pjs
#173416 My DMP doesn't start until December, but I have noted that dental costs are included in the plan. I cancelled my appointment earlier on in the year because, quite frankly, I couldn't have afforded even the check up. Mine is private and I have been with them 5 years. (I had the same NHS dentist for 30 years and after missing one appointment, they said I could no longer been seen as an NHS patient and had to go private, so I did go private, but with someone else)

How do I show that I plan to put the required amount away specifically for the dentist (and tax, insurance, car service etc. which has been allocated). If I put it into a savings account for when it's needed, won't it look like I have spare money?
Bysurfbabe
#173424 HSA is viable if you have a lot of work due to be done or bad teeth :?

*]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/mytwistedme/shirts/1457_0L.jpg[/img]

http://www.hsa.co.uk/HSA/products/dental_plans/

We are going to do it next year
My dentist is private cause we couldnt get a NHS one so a check up is £40 & a hygenist twice a year at £45 then treatments on top :(

And you can add kids really cheaply

Hubby did a spreadsheet and said in our case it was viable

Worth a look
By merrymouse
#173427 Our dentist doesn't do NHS now and a checkup cost me £32 and a hygienist cost similar....he gave son a check-up and a scale and polish for £37.50 (son is 22) he also gives a very good service!
By Yogi Bear
pjs wrote:How do I show that I plan to put the required amount away specifically for the dentist (and tax, insurance, car service etc. which has been allocated). If I put it into a savings account for when it's needed, won't it look like I have spare money?

Nobody's going to "audit" your DMP or your accounts. It's entirely up to you to work out what you need for the various categories of expenditure you've mentioned, and make sure you put enough aside to be able to pay the bills as they come in - and to resist the temptation to dip into it for anything you hadn't covered. :)
By pjs
#173572 Thanks Yogi. As credit is no longer available (thank goodness), I'm hoping to put enough away each month to meet the bills, as and when they come in, so they are paid for. If I saved, I didn't want it to be seen as spare cash.

I'm still getting to grips with all this and I suppose I have a feeling that 'big brother' is watching, even though I'm having the maximum taken off me :(
By Iphigenia
#173574 Hi, pjs, that's what I've done for the last 18 months, and it's been really successful, I've never (in that time) had a bill I couldn't pay, and I've even had the occasional treat!

Don't know how you're doing it but I worked out the annual costs of everything: health, utilities, insurances, Christmas, etc and divided each one by 12 to get a monthly amount. I have a ledger page (just a table in MS Publisher, don't know how to do anything fancier) for each category and log the money in every month and the bills out as and when.

I have a co-op savings account that I put that money into, so that it doesn't lie around my current account looking available!! :roll:

It takes about 5 minutes on payday logging it in and about 20 seconds to log out when I need to ~ it has been SO worth it! Cash only for me for evermore!

Good luck with yours. :flower:
By froglet
#173581 Well, I read through the clauses for HFS dental plan and it's certainly not feasable for me :(
Firstly no pre existing conditions are covered, and I need several fillings.
Secondly you must have had a check up in the last 2 years.
Thirdly you still have to pay a certain amount yourself and plus there's a limit which with current dental prices will not give much cover.

Still a better bet to put the allocated money aside month by month and get a filling done, one at a time spread out over a year, and keep my fingers crossed that I don't need root canal treatment :lol: !
By pjs
#173595 Iphigenia - a very encouraging post thank you, and I think I'll go with the same plan as yours. I feel a bit easier now to know this will be ok.

Froglet - I cancelled my last appointment earlier this year as I couldn't afford it, so will maybe be another 6 months before I can get booked in. It's usually a check up combined with scale and polish. Hope all goes well and I don't have to resort to the string and doorknob job :lol:
By Bright Future
#174901 I raised this subject because I recently had the most excruciating toothache and a gum infection which has resulted in me needing root canal treatment and a crown - the total cost of all the treatment and check ups, prescription charges etc will be around £300. This is NHS treatment - I went to my friend's dental practice and they offered me a choice of private or NHS.

I've taken out a dental plan with HSA - to cover these unexpected conditions and accidental damage. The amount charged is about what Payplan allocated on my I & E.

The cost is one thing but it's nothing compared to the pain one has to endure!

Finally, in the December edition of Which magazine, electric toothbrushes are being reviewed. A good model could be one affordable way of reducing the risk of future damage, treatment and pain.
By icewhite
#175713 Know where you are coming from with the old root canal problem.....my dentist said that the electric toothbrushes are crap when I told her I had got one, she says they are no better than ordinary toothbrushes...............gutted :D
By lush43
#181898 Depending on your dental health,I would personally take a wide berth from denplan.Far better to put your own money away in an account.The maximum on the NHS is now £195.Unless you know your going to need extensive work in the next couple of years they are'nt really viable.As for electric toothrushes..well different dentists have different opinions.People do lots of damage to teeth and gums with over zealous brushing.Its even possible to tell whether you are right or left handed from looking at abrasion!!!As a an ex dental nurse and current technician I would advise anyone to save for it or look to sovreign or similar to claim money back after paying(also includes glasses etc),rather than any of the dental plans alone