Share your money saving tips

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

ByRed Devil
#189148 I did an online survey to see how much I could save per year if we had a water meter - it would out I would be worse off!

Also, I don't think we can have a water meter - we live in a maisonette that has one water pipe coming into the property (our kitchen) which then splits off to the upstairs maisonette.
Byeverett
#191371 A meter should only be considered if there are three or less people in a house.
I wouldn't be any better off so have stuck with rates, although...... we have an annexe to the house which was built in the 1920`s originally as an outside toilet and gets its water supply from our neighbours , so technically I could go on a meter and plumb in a supply of free water :twisted:
ByBright Future
#191525 Another consideration... I have discovered that in some blocks of flats, there is a meter for the whole block with the bill shared between all the flats/occupiers. This applies where I live - confirmed by my housing association although this year I'll be paying one pound a month less than last year. as no one has a garden here or a parking space, water consumption is probably less than usual.

I read that some housebuilders have this water meter arrangement in their blocks of flats so before buying or renting a flat, learning the water meter arrangement should be a priority.
Byred24
Bright Future wrote: learning the water meter arrangement should be a priority.

It certainly should be a priority, unfortunately all rental properties now have to have a water meter installed, we now pay £11 per month more than we paid without a meter, there is only 2 of us, we haven't used the shower since October cos the bathrooms too cold and we don't waste water. So god knows how much it would be for a family living here, much more expensive.
Byred24
moaner wrote: suffer from IBS

Sorry I know its a while ago but doing a search I found your post. Looking for info for a friend with IBS - how do you claim a rebate from a water co. for this condition, thanks.
Bymoaner
#205027 not sure if IBS is covered under the scheme, I did not bother claiming as we have now got a council house with NO water meter :clap:

we now pay £27 per month as opposed to over £70 and we can use as much water as we need! Although, United Utilities say we still owe £240 from the old address as the £70 per month was NOT ENOUGH to cover what we were using :shock: so we have to pay this back in installments now, what a rip-off! Glad to be away from there.
ByTalbotWoods
#205030 This may interest a few people:

Help with water charges

Help is available with the cost of your water and sewerage charges through a scheme called WaterSure.

If you are on a metered water service and on a low income this capped charge service may help you.

Criteria

• If you or a member of your household is in receipt of benefits or
• has a medical condition that means you use more water
• you have a low income
• You are on a metered service

Charges

Charges this year (2008)were £151 for water and £149 for sewerage. Or put another, way £25 per month for both water and sewerage

Usage

If your usage is greater than the figures above this will benefit you by capping the amount you pay at the figures shown.

If you are a member of the scheme and your actual usage charge is less than the figures shown, you will pay the lesser amount.

For further information contact Severn Trent on 08457 500 500
Or visit http://www.ofwat.gov.uk if you are with another supplier
Byred24
TalbotWoods wrote: is in receipt of benefits or

The criteria is the usual benefits can entitle you to a capped rate, all the benefits that are income related, the only one that does not meet the criteria is Incapacity Benefit, the one my husband claims.

But yes it is worth checking this out as it is a good saving.
ByGazza1912
#207349 I believe the idea of water meters is to ensure you only pay for the water you use, and to cut down on wasted water.

On the monthly or quarterly bill system, someone like me who lives alone would pay the same amount as a large family would.

I live alone and a water meter is definately cheaper for me. But as I said previoulsy, water meters may not be the best option for large families with kids.
Byred24
#211799 I am totally bewildered by the charges for water, never took much notice before. Me & hubby lived in a 2 bed flat in North London, no water meter, had washing machine. dishwasher, shower etc, we paid £21 pm.

Moved in to a 3 bed house with a meter with the same things and was asked to increase monthly amount to £43 pm and the bills we received did justify this.
Since moved to another 3 bed house, no meter but the forcasted bill for the next year is a few pounds off £500. Apparently it is worked out by the rateable value of the house, occupancy, council tax banding, so this would account for why its so high.

Water company told me that any change of occupancy would entitle the water company to install a meter, this was decided by the government in 2005.
It is such a lot of money.
ByDuffNCustard
#211814 I don't want to argue the morality of metering or not -we don't have one in our house - but Old Yam Yam (the neighbourhood Liberalista) who lives one door down from us made a big show of having one installed a couple of years back. We watched her garden shrivel the other summer - and the neighbourhood vine reckoned she was reduced to bathing in 2 inches of water to save money.

Then the nice lady next door had one installed as the waterboard calculated she would save £37 a year - yeah in a pigs eye she did. Now as I hose the old car down and sprinkle my garden when it needs it I have a dam good chortle!

No doubt they'll become mandatory one of these days - another legalised swindle if you ask me!
Bymerlin
#212300 If you search the net, you will find many horror stories re water meters.
What I found - and sent great warning bells, was that many of the water companies heavily subsidise the meters for the first 12 months, and purposely advertise the costs the customer pays in those 12 months!
To me it was the usual "I smell a rat" scenario, so I kept out of it.
Byplumduff
#214318 And remember - if you own property... you could put off potential buyers if a meter is fitted, especially oif you live in a family sized home..

Con con con...
Bypurrfect
#219828 i'm on a water meter and I pay about £30 per month. It's ridiculous - I'm a single person in a 2 bed small semi and careful with what I use. I would NEVER buy a house with a water meter!