Share your money saving tips

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Cityboy
#145471 its probably been said before but ebay is excellent for clothes. in my job there is a certain image needed but at the moment i cant afford to spend £40-£80 a time on shirts and ties and stuff. anyway i overheard one of our directors talking about his daughter listed his suits and shirts on ebay so i had a look - so far bought 4 shirts in excellent condition for a 3rd or even less of what it would cost in the shops - 2nd hand but i have no problem and what i have got so far has been perfect, no-one can tell and even if they knew things like that dont bother me - bidding on a pair of shoes now, these are new but price is still lot lower than the shops....fingers crossed
By red24
#145516 Ebays excellent, best of luck with your bidding, but only put your bid in at the last 1 - 2 mins, it works every time for me.

Great feeling of adrenalin rush when I've won something - so childish.
By chillychicky
#145541 yeah, there's nothing like sniping at the last second!
By isio
#145570 I've been selling on ebay on and off over 3 years now. It's not fun any more though. You list your item for 7 days, and nothing happens until the last few seconds. Everybody learned this last few seconds trick. It used to be so much fun to watch your auction getting so many bids throughout the week.
By red24
#145606 Yes tell me about it, I've got items listed at the moment. One has had 179 hits, has 23 people watching but no bids as yet. 3 days to go!

But don't we all do it, l like it better in the last few minutes to see who wins, great fun.
By isio
#145618 good luck with the sales red24 :-). I am not going to list items for a while, as a mad woman who bought an item from me has been giving me hard time. It is my first problem buyer since I started selling on ebay.
By red24
#145634 I sympathise with you Isio, I've had all the mad women, and men. I now have stricter selling rules as I can't be bothered with these fools.
The people who are new, no feedback and then win and don't buy, its all too much like hard work.
I know we all have to start somewhere and have to trust bidders, but I've been stung a few times and had to relist.
By chillychicky
#145695 it can feel like hard work sometimes. I do it in fits & starts because the packing & posting gets on my nerves. Has been worth my while this month though. Had a right old sort out & raised £100 after fees & postage so dead chuffed.
Byproblemsgone
#146317 I use ebay a lot for clothes, although I find yes shoes are cheaper, [got a great collection of DM's now!] its the postage that gets us.

You have now to look carefully at postage costs, sometimes it works out just about two quid cheaper than a shop, if thats the case, then I will buy new rather than carry on bidding.

we used to win bids at the last minuet, but people now know that trick, and we used to use hammerbid tool for the last few seconds, cheating I know!

But now with the postage costs, sometimes ebay is not worth it anymore. To much hassle just to save a few quid, unless its something worth winning of course then its different.

We used ebay when we got married, this saved us a fortune, from the clothes to the decorations, it was the only way I could afford a nice white dress!
By red24
#146426 It does seem to be the postage that gets a lot of people. I've just sold something to someone in Italy even though I did specify I would only post to the UK. The winner then decided he wouldn't pay the postage so I am now left with it, offered 2nd chance but no bids. what a waste of time & energy.

Tell me about shoes - Ive still got 3 pairs (new) that I can't sell, can't even give them away as I don't know anyone local they would fit.

But I still enjoy Ebaying, its a great pastime, I just wish I knew what I could make a steady income on.
By calin
#146509 Red24, I sold 3 pairs last night that I bought last yr and never worn! Still in boxes.
Didnt get back the cost of them but got enough I am happy with.
Just list them on the site and they should seel,especially if new.
Good luck
By isio
#146546 My first ever sale on ebay was a pair of extremely worn out shoes I listed for 50p. I got £35 for it, with so many bidders fighting over it. I put the clear pictures of every fault and damage, so that people would see what they were bidding for. You can imagine my surprise when they sold for £30, until of course realising that by using "my old shoes" and "bit dirty" in the title I appealed to certain ebay buyers with certain taste. Looking at the previous purchases of the winning bidder was enough. Other bidders asked if I had any other shoes like that.
:oops:
By thoughtful
isio wrote:My first ever sale on ebay was a pair of extremely worn out shoes I listed for 50p. I got £35 for it, with so many bidders fighting over it. I put the clear pictures of every fault and damage, so that people would see what they were bidding for. You can imagine my surprise when they sold for £30, until of course realising that by using "my old shoes" and "bit dirty" in the title I appealed to certain ebay buyers with certain taste. Looking at the previous purchases of the winning bidder was enough. Other bidders asked if I had any other shoes like that.
:oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
By calin
#146603 Oh cool!! I have a good few pairs of old shoes, they arent 'dirty' but I'm sure I make them that dirty!
ching ching :lol:
By lush43
#146609 Try fluffy slippers too..lol.The cheap ones at 1.99 a pair..they seem to like those too :wink: :wink: :D