Scottish and English debt laws are different, so if you are a Scottish resident and have questions on debt, then this is the place to post.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By deltatwo
#82301 Hi,

Have arranged my own DMP with Creditors, and am still running my own current accounts for both my business and personal.

This is probably a stupid question, but since one the companies that I work with is not going to pay me on time this month, and they will be 3 days late, I am not going to have the funds in my account on the day I should have.

So, what I want to know is when you write a cheque, say for fuel or supermarket etc., and you use a cheque guarantee card, does the system check that funds are actually in your account (think this is what it does with Switch??) or does it just print the cheque?

It is just that I notice in Sainsbury's that even if I pay by cheque, and I use my cheque book a lot since I keep better track of spending like this, that on the machine that you would put your switch card, it will say processing, and am assuming this means checking funds?

Sorry this is so long winded, just don't want to have to write a cheque for fuel or something the day before money is in account and get refused!!

Thanks
By JLP
#82381 Its not a stupid question, and the honest answer is, I dont know anymore. A lot of supermarkets/petrol stations are using Transax or equivalent which checks if there is enough money in your account . I personally never use cheques in supermarkets and havent done for years, but I do know of an embarassing incident that an ex friend of mine had a couple of years ago and took her cheque book and card to Braehead to do some Xmas shopping day before she got paid and was declined.

But yet I do know someone who regularly goes shopping in Tescos before payday when she hasnt got money in her account and has no problems.

Sorry not very helpful I know.