Scottish and English debt laws are different, so if you are a Scottish resident and have questions on debt, then this is the place to post.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By JLP
#67042 http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/nmCen ... 06-003.htm

Committee recommends law on land attachment should exclude 'main dwellings'

A debtor's home should not be used to settle unsecured debts states a report published today by the Enterprise and Culture Committee on the Scottish Executive's Bankruptcy and Diligence etc. (Scotland) Bill.

The Bill is intended to tackle Scotland's growing debt problem and proposes a number of measures aimed at modernising the law and striking a better balance between creditors and debtors including reducing the bankruptcy period from three years to one year.

One of the proposals in the Bill is to create ‘Land Attachment' which would enable a creditor to apply for a court process to sell a debtor's property if £1500 or more is owed. The Enterprise and Culture Committee wants to make sure that this stops short of making people homeless.

Hopefully they will see sense before this bill becomes law.............. :roll:
By Feux Verts
#67279 Well - you just sparked my intrest JLP.

How will the Sequestrating Councils react to this I wonder? Keep me posted.

D
Last edited by Feux Verts on Sun May 28, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JLP
#67938 I reckon they are going to still issue Statutory Demands....... :( .However what the Money Advisors are doing is trying to get them into a DPP under DAS (particularly North Lanarkshire). Now the problem apparently is that if people do not pay their Current Liability for Council Tax eg this years, the lovely councils are asking for the DPP to be revoked........... :( .Makes Money Advisors fell like we are Debt Collectors, beacuse we keep having to advise people, that you MUST pay your current years Council Tax.Its scary biscuits.