Scottish and English debt laws are different, so if you are a Scottish resident and have questions on debt, then this is the place to post.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By steven
#48719 Included in my sequestration dated May 2003 I had a loan with Egg which was a joint account. I am due for discharge May 2006.

Now obviuosly this account is still being paid by my partner as it was a joint account, however Egg continue to update my CRF fileS with the reduced balance every month.

I have contacted Egg and they are looking at what they can do for me.

I though the law was that they have to mark this account as settled from 9 May 2003 which was the date of my sequestration.

Any help please.
By Mel_Odious
#48722 Not as it was a joint account. The partner must pay back ALL of the amount and it can still be updated by the lender. It is not settled por satisfied until the last payment is made. If it was just your debt you would be correct. Unfair, yes but that's the way it is I'm afraid.

Mel
By steven
#48741 Thanks mel for you reply. As the date of default was 09/02 and this account is being paid each month would that have a postive effect on my credit rating.
By Mel_Odious
#48746 I'm afraid not Steven. As long as the sequestration is on your CRF which is six years for bankruptcy south of the border and I'm not sure of your law but presume it to be the same, then you will have difficulty in obtaining further credit. I am discharged now and still can't get a decent current account.

Mel
By steven
#48747 I believe it is six years from date of bankruptcy in scotland so should be off my file May 2009.

Thanks for your help again.
By Mel_Odious
steven wrote:I believe it is six years from date of bankruptcy in scotland so should be off my file May 2009.

Thanks for your help again.

'fraid so. You got caught like I did for the full three years. I believe Scotland is going to adopt England's rules on bankruptcy some time soon which will mean sequestration lasting just the one year as doon here the noo. (Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:I expect a ribbing now from JLP, Skiannach, Rhionnach and the rest of you guys).

Mel
By Sassy&Sorted
#48756 Dont forget me Mel!!!!!!!!!!! Cheeky beggar. At least we speak the queens english properly!
By Mel_Odious
#48758 Thought you were a true bred puddie Sassy and thought Sassy was short for Sassenach? Just goes to show how wrong I can be.

Actually on the Queen's English, I can still remember the English Master at my Grammar School telling us that the Scots pronounced certain words correctly unlike the English. I seem to remember, blimmin' 'eck 50 years ago, it was particularly about words like take and cake etc.

Mel
By Sassy&Sorted
#48768 I was born in Bathgate and lived in West Lothian till I was 5 when we moved to yorkshire. My mum was from Girvan, and my dad was from Hull!
By Feux Verts
Sassy&Sorted wrote:I was born in Bathgate and lived in West Lothian till I was 5 when we moved to yorkshire. My mum was from Girvan, and my dad was from Hull!

Girvan? We could be related - and JLP too?
By Sassy&Sorted
#48941 Lol. Scary!!!!!!
By JLP
#49317 My Mums family came from Girvan, she was evacuated to Maidens during WW2 and she used to help my Aunt nursing at the Turnberry Hotel (thats why she became a nurse). In fact when my Mum died, I scattered her ashes on the beach at Maidens-and nearly got drowned as tide was coming in-so made a solemn occasion a bit of a laugh.

My ex husband came from Hull, and my oldest girls Grandfather still lives there.
By Sassy&Sorted
#49505 Its a small world!
By chrissy
#49827 Oh dear! I thought "Sassy" was named after that really nice cat in Homeward Bound because of the cat pictures!
Just shows how wrong you can be!!!!
By Sassy&Sorted
#49934 lol. I have posted a reply for you in off topic, but when Mel renamed me he didnt know I was scottish!