Scottish and English debt laws are different, so if you are a Scottish resident and have questions on debt, then this is the place to post.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By napes99
#321303 Can anyone tell me how long a charge for payment will stay on my credit file if unpaid? I am not in a situation to pay this at the moment and have moved address so I am not traceable at the moment. I have two and one was for council tax. I hope to pay this eventually but I am not in a good financial situation at the moment. I'm not sure if this will ever go away. I had a ccj in 2005 and wondering if this should be removed from my credit file. Hope someone can help and not judge. Thanks
User avatar
By TalbotWoods
#321323 OK not judging

Things you need to be aware of:

1. The Council Tax one will NEVER go away, even if it takes 10 years they will track you eventually and then they will collect. These are different from CCJs as they are technically government debts so are never statute barred one the Liability Order is issued.

2. The 2005 CCJ will have already fallen of your Credit Files, as it is on there for 6 years from the issue date, so it fell off two years ago.

However, once again this may not simply vanish, as by your own admission you dropped off the radar, thus it is possible that the system is marked as Gone Away, and as soon as you re-surface they will come hunting the account.

Additionally as you dropped off the radar, the Statute of Limitations on the debt can be circumvented by them going back to court and showing how you avoided paying them, the court will unbar the CCJ!

OK at thsi stage I would suggest two courses of action:

first obtain your credit files (£2 statutory ones) and see what is recorded.

Contact one of the debt agencies below, as they can help you sort this out once and for all. Honestly the sooner the better!

There are three organisation in the UK that can offer you free, completely confidential, personal and impartial advice on your money worries.

PayPlan: Is a national organisation with approaching 20 years of experience in dealing with all kinds of financial situations, no matter how bad they are.
Their advice and help starts with a simple phone call to 0800 280 2816

NDL: Is an organisation that advises you on solutions that are available to you, you can contact them on 0808 808 4000

StepChange (formerly CCCS) Is an organisation that advises you on available solutions with your financial problems. You can contact them on 0800 138 1111