Scottish and English debt laws are different, so if you are a Scottish resident and have questions on debt, then this is the place to post.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By jade
#203191 Hi there

Given the continuing rise in people struggling with debt just thought would post my mantra.

Please - under no circumstances - pay anyone for debt advice - if you are new here take heed.

You can contact the usual agencies such as CAB, Money Advice - other Welfare agencies. You can also contact Payplan or CCCS - or if you want to speak to someone local and face to face and are unable to get an appointment as quickly as you would like with one of the welfare agencies you can see a licensed insolvency practitioner who will also provide you with initial advice for free.

Beware of large ads in the yellow pages or similar when looking for a local IP as many are actually debt management companies who will charge you for the advice.

You should look under Licensed Insolvency Practitioner or Insolvency Practitioner - they dont tend to have all singing all dancing big page ads!!!