Scottish and English debt laws are different, so if you are a Scottish resident and have questions on debt, then this is the place to post.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By dunkyg99
#203132 hello there, i got a letter today saying i owed a company "gecapital" £2,250. i have had debt previously in my life but it was more than 5 years ago so i cant remember who i owed what to. i have rebuilt my life after suffering severe depression and now have my own flat, car and good job. i did once get a credit report and most of my debts said "account satisfied". i think that was the termanology they used. this included £16K to a bank. what happened to this debt? and can any of these ppl still chase me? its been over 5 years as i say since i had heard from anyone and that was a company about a mobile phone. i last heard from that bank about 9 years ago. please help, im panicking now thinking about my "old" life coming back to haunt me!!
By Yogi Bear
dunkyg99 wrote:....and can any of these ppl still chase me? its been over 5 years as i say since i had heard from anyone and that was a company about a mobile phone. i last heard from that bank about 9 years ago. please help, im panicking now thinking about my "old" life coming back to haunt me!!

In Scotland, the time limit for a creditor to take action is five years. So while they may send letters asking for payment of these old debts, they can't in fact now take any action over them:
http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/scotl ... tation_act