Scottish and English debt laws are different, so if you are a Scottish resident and have questions on debt, then this is the place to post.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By gillahill
#424283 I have some serious concerns about this. If I am correct those who apply or affiliate with this scheme have their details held on a publically accessible register which shows name, address, other contact details and financial info.

Is this right, and if so, where is this backed legally? What is the purpose of this aside from possible public humiliation and openess to fraud? Why is this in place rather than details held with credit agencies? I see no reason for this information to be public. What additional implications does this have for DAS clients?

I really have concerns about this, and hope you can clarify as it almost sounds like being given a carrot whilst selling your soul. I hope not :(
By TalbotWoods
#424293 Hi and Welcome

As you are aware (and for those under aware) the DAS register is an online public register which holds information about those intending to apply for, are applying for, and those who already have a Debt Payment Programme.

If a DPP is approved creditors must comply with the DAS legislation, and you must also comply with the DAS legislation.

The reason why this exists is that unlike the informal debt solutions, such as debt management plans, once in place these agreements are and can enforced in law.

Ergo these are classed as formal solutions, and with all formal solutions there has to be in place protection for you (the creditors cannot say the dont know you in a DDP) and for future creditors (where you irresponsibly attempt to obtain new credit).

This is covered in law, if you wish to challenge this that is something you will need to take up with the AiB directly, as this enshrined in law.
By JaneClack
#424873 As the DAS can guarantee that interest and charges will be frozen and there may well be some composition (ie writing off of debt) then this is no more difficult than the credit reference agencies - who can also hold this information. It would go on these in a debt management plan for six years from the date of default which could be even longer and there is no guarantee that interest and charges will be frozen.

People on the south of the border would love a statutory solution rather than paying into a plan for five or more years and then discovering one creditor had gone back to adding interest - which they can and do.