Discussions on life after your bankruptcy discharge.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

Bynigelb
#83592 Afternoon all.

Cautionary tale...

I would like to move from my present (rented) property closer to work.

We found a place, filled in all the forms for references, put the deposit down. I came clean about the b'cy even providing notice of discharge.

I even had my mum on stand by as a guarantor if required. We have a very good record as tenants and my present landlord would give me a good reference.

The agent "saved me the cost of my deposit" by telling me that they wouldn't even bother putting the application to the reference company as the underwriter had told them they would never approve the application.

So seems you can't buy and you can't rent after bankruptcy!

Ridiculous It's not like I want to borrow any money!. I am so pi**ed off!

I wonder if people realise when considering bankruptcy as an "easy option" what the consequences can be.

Anybody else had trouble renting through estate agents?
Bychillychicky
#83608 i know of people on here who have successfully rented post-B so I would like to think that you have just had a bad experience with an ignorant estate agent.
ByMel_Odious
#83618 I didn't have a problem with the Council and renting.

Mel
Bynigelb
#83640 If you can find any council houses left to rent!
BySonic
nigelb wrote:If you can find any council houses left to rent!

Indeedy.

Sorry to hear what happened, can imagine how frustrating that must be.

S xxx
Bysupersupershootin
#83732 I've learnt since BR that most of the things i can't get aren't actually of very good use to me anyway (for the good of my health etc) and you find that you just become more resourceful instead.

There are landlords and agencies that will take you on, chances are they will be less of a rip off and have more of a social conscience (ie, that having a place to live is a nescesilty and not a financial pleasure)
I've been with some real B*****d agencies before and now i have a great landlord.

Good luck, D :)
BySonic
supersupershootin wrote:I've learnt since BR that most of the things i can't get aren't actually of very good use to me anyway (for the good of my health etc) and you find that you just become more resourceful instead.

There are landlords and agencies that will take you on, chances are they will be less of a rip off and have more of a social conscience (ie, that having a place to live is a nescesilty and not a financial pleasure)
I've been with some real B*****d agencies before and now i have a great landlord.

Good luck, D :)

That's a really positive way to look at things supersupershootin, and I agree with you. Living without a credit card has made me more resourceful in many respects too, and it's also made me realise how, in fact, there are many things I can live without.

nigelb - I believe in karma/poetic justice, and I bet that agency that turned you down will let the house to someone with a good credit rating...who will turn out to be an unreliable tennant who doesn't pay the rent and trashes the place.

S xxx
Byjonnie000
#83788 Rent direct from a landlord/lady. So much simpler, cheaper, and stress free. Plus you don't need to go through a "credit check". Agencies are all well and good, but when you consider they are handling numerous properties and have to juggle them all day long, your problems with the property usually end up at the bottom of their priority list. Also there are their initial fees which are non-refundable, i.e. the credit check fees and you don't have these with a non-agency rent. Also you have direct contact with the landlord/lady renting direct, which provided they are good landlords is a definite plus point. My landlady is wonderful and can't do enough for me. I rented previous to this through an agency, and while the agency were ok, things never got done because it would take an age for them to contact the landlord, and then the landlord couldn't care less about the problems anyway, so long as he was getting his rent that was that. I never saw hide not hair from him despite there being fairly serious leakage and wiring issues. I'd say that anyone who is renting their property through an agency is proabably (though not always I might add) doing it for one of these reasons:

-They can't be bothered with the hassle or haven't the time, therefore you'll rarely see them to sort any problems out.
-They aren't capable of functioning as a landlord and so again will rarely be seen to sort problems out.

And bear in mind that these days a lot of landlords aren't making mega bucks by renting their property out so shelling out for repairs on top of agency fees is the last thing they want to do.

Find yourself an honest landlord who's genuinely investing in the property and willing to look after it and you're onto a winner.
Bynigelb
#83856 Yeh, Sonic those were my thoughts too...I really hope he gets a bad tenant.

I've been to another agent today and they can't understnd why the first agent wouldn't accept the let with a guarantor as offered.

The good thing about agents, although they charge you and do credit checks, most properties seem - at least around here - to be let through agents.

Onwards and upwards as they say!
Bynigelb
#83857 Wise words jonnie