Discussions on life after your bankruptcy discharge.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Titanic
#327813 Hi

After BR do the utility service companies (ie. gas & electric) try to force you on to a pre-pay meter in your home? Do they credit score you? I'm concerned they may put me on a pre-pay meter (or install one) which ultimately will cost me more in the long run!

I'm not looking to compare the merits of billed/pre-pay but whether its something they do?

Many thanks

T.

NB. I mean when moving into a new home not if your in your existing home or the home you were/are in when you went BR. Ta
By TalbotWoods
#328173 Hi Titanic

If you are up to date with the bill, then normally no, as they do not have to be included in the bankruptcy (so dont know and are not told).

If they are included because you have a debt with them, most will move you to a pre-payment, as they take the attitude, once bitten twice shy!

Tim
By Titanic
#328193 Hi T

No I did I did not have any utility bills at time of BR or now but am shortly moving into a new home and will do the normal contacting the gas water and elect services to have in my name. Just wondered if they credit score then see the BR and go 'ok fella you need a pre pay'! But ive not had the utility bills in my name now for nearly a decade!

T.
By TalbotWoods
#328203 LOL

Shame you cant avoid it again, but that aside, no they dont normally check, you just inherit what is already there, so it may be that when you move in there is already a prepay meter!!

If there is, get it changed ASAP most companies will do this and no they dont normally check, other than Identity.

Tim