Discussions on life after your bankruptcy discharge.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By madgefan
#224268 hi I just have a couple of questions

if I was ever to win money through the lottery or bingo do i have inform the OR anyone still (my bankruptcy was in 2006)

also would i have to inform the benefits agency of a win?

I havent actually won its just something I wonder about if i ever did?
By JaneClack
#224270 No, because you have been discharged from bankruptcy and do not have a continued Income Payments Order or Arrangement.

To the benefits agency and if it is a substantial win - yes, or someone else would dob you in! And any income made from depositing the money would be visible and therefore you may no longer be eligible for benefits.

Also if you were as rich as Croesus you would not need them! :wink:
By madgefan
#224271 ok what about if it was a one off win of £2000 or something what would you call substantial?
By allmail1
#224283 Put it in a savings account

Upper limit (income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance and Income Support) £8,000
Lower limit (income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance and Income Support) £3,000
Upper limit (income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance if you or your partner are aged 60 or over) £12,000
Lower limit (income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance if you or your partner are aged 60 or over) £6,000
Upper limit (Income Support if your partner is aged 60 or over) £12,000
Lower limit (Income Support if your partner is aged 60 or over) £6,000
Upper limit (Housing Benefit (HB) and Council Tax Benefit (CTB)) £16,000
Savings/capital are ignored for HB/CTB where a person is in receipt of Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s allowance, or the Guarantee Pension Credit (with or without a Savings Credit).
Child and young person’s limit £3,000
People in care homes
Upper limit (income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Council Tax and Housing Benefit) £16,000
Lower limit (income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Council Tax and Housing Benefit) £10,000