Discussions on life after your bankruptcy discharge.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By sortingitout
#204665 Hi there

Been discharged since April '07 and have been paying my IPA at £200 a month since Jan '07.

I've just paid out £200 for dental work (£55 hygienist and £125 for a filling) which has pretty much "broken my bank". Have been in severe pain all weekend and went to the dentist today who has told me that the only way that he can now fix this tooth is with a root canal filling - total cost another £340!

Now obviously I don't have £340 rattling around. I don't really want to borrow this from work or a friend as it'll mean I have a debt hanging over my head and a few months of struggling to repay it. So a thought I've had is whether I could ask Clarke Wilmott to give me a two month payment holiday (£400) in order that I can pay for it.

Do you think this is a reasonable request? Also - if I were to do this, would it mean flagging up my account with them? To be totally honest, since setting up my repayments I've had two small pay raises - but I guess my bills have also gone up - but I'm probably slightly better off than I was when I set up my arrangement - although my IPA agreement is one that falls into the grey area of only having to inform them of changes to income "until discharge from bankruptcy" so I've erred on the side of never telling them of any changes. So by asking for a payment holiday - will I be putting myself in a position of having to send bank statements and an updated payment schedule thing?

Would appreciate some urgent feedback - need to figure out how I'm going to sort this tooth out other than finding a man with a pair of pliers!

Thanks all.
xx
By BoingBoing
#204676 :shock: poor you
I think it sounds perfectly reasonable
Ive never dealt with them myself but posters say they are very amiable on such things
Nothing ventured nothing gained
By sortingitout
#204677 Cheers BoingBoing .... I just don't want to flag myself up if I can avoid it though. Anyone taken a payment holiday? Did anyone have to give in a revised payment schedule etc?
By TalbotWoods
#204678 Hi Ya

CW are very good with this and if you cotnact them now you shold be able to suspend the payments for a few months as this is emergency dental work (rather than elective).

And no they wont need an updated I&E

Which reminds me I need to make an appointment as well!!

Tim
By sortingitout
#204680 Cheers Tim! Honestly - am sitting at work and the painkillers have worn off and it's horrid! Was fine before I went and had a broken filling replaced!!!

Dentists are soooooooo expensive - it's freaky!!!

Thanks again for your help!
xx
By BoingBoing
sortingitout wrote:Cheers BoingBoing .... I just don't want to flag myself up if I can avoid it though. Anyone taken a payment holiday? Did anyone have to give in a revised payment schedule etc?

"Why is there always so much month left at the end of the money???"

How true that is :lol: :lol: :lol:
By red24
#204699 Thought this might be helpful, those charges are ridiculous -

Simpler charging
There are now three standard charges for all NHS dental treatments. This makes it easier to know how much you may need to pay and also helps to ensure that you are being charged for NHS care (rather than private care).

The maximum charge for a complex course of treatment is £198*.

Most courses of treatment cost £16.20* or £44.60*.

* These charges apply from April 1 2008.

There's a list of NHS dentists on the NHS site, the above charges are cheaper than having to pay privately, there are still some dentists who take NHS patients.
By moaner
#204707 just got back from my check-up, only cost £16.20 and I do not need any work doing, phew :lol:
By sortingitout
red24 wrote:Thought this might be helpful, those charges are ridiculous -

Simpler charging
There are now three standard charges for all NHS dental treatments. This makes it easier to know how much you may need to pay and also helps to ensure that you are being charged for NHS care (rather than private care).

The maximum charge for a complex course of treatment is £198*.

Most courses of treatment cost £16.20* or £44.60*.

* These charges apply from April 1 2008.

There's a list of NHS dentists on the NHS site, the above charges are cheaper than having to pay privately, there are still some dentists who take NHS patients.

Wow! I can't believe those prices!! So my dentist is apparently charging me NHS rates! I've signed up as an NHS patient and I've checked and double checked he's charging me NHS rates! What do you think I should do - find a more local NHS dentist (to be fair this one I'm seeing is based in Central London so convenient for work etc) - and see what their rates are and then get the work done there? I seriously can't believe that it's like 150% more to see him to get this treatment done! Or should I perhaps call the NHS. He did mumble something about not doing root canal work on the NHS as they "only pay me £45" - so whether that means he'll only do root canal work on a private basis or something?
By red24
#204740 NHS is NHS, doesn't matter where you live in the country.

If he is telling you he's charging NHS rates I think he's telling you some untruths.

Google NHS Dentists and look for yourself, take the charges list a long to your dentist and ask him about it.