Discussions on life after your bankruptcy discharge.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By sammys
#132172 hi, I went bankrupt feb 06 got discharged sept 06 , I have been with my partner for 25 years (getting married may this year at last ) I have been in bad debt before about 12 years ago and got c.c.js but never went bankrupt then , just got strait , now my partner has never owed a penny in his life before except for his morgage wich he still has now , he can get credit as he has credit cards but never uses them only emergancy and pays them of strait away , even when i had c.c.js . now his brother want to borrow a grand of him to buy a car he has applied for two different credit cards so he can use a separate one for him with 12 months intrest free on so he can get the car , he has been denied these cards and by the wording on the letters we know it has something to do with my bankrupcy , we both thought another persons debt could not affect someone else , or the address ,that ended years ago diddn't it . Has anyone any advice for me why should this affect my partner as it never has done in the past thanks if anyone can help me
By keepchinup
#132220 If you have any form of joint financial arrangement, this could be the reason. These include a joint mortgage, joint current account, loan etc. Your credit file(s) will show if such an "association" exists, and if you have no joint credit you can get your files updated.

I know this is the case because my wife applied for car insurance payable in ten monthly payments, and my files showed the search too. We do have a joint mortgage.

Good luck.
By sammys
#132231 hi thanks for the reply , but no nothing is joint the morgage is in his name i am not on it ,our bank accounts are separate , well i dont have one now gave it up when i went b.r am coping without one so never bothered to get one after my b.r ended ( maybe soon i will get round to getting one )there is nothing at all with both our names on except the coucil tax bill thats all , I honestly would not have gone b.r if i knew this would affect him , it is so unfair it it has , as we are not married ( yet) anyway
By keepchinup
#132242 If not done so already, you need to obtain your credit files and work out what's happened. It's really the only place to start........sorry.
By binderdundat
keepchinup wrote:If you have any form of joint financial arrangement, this could be the reason. These include a joint mortgage, joint current account, loan etc. Your credit file(s) will show if such an "association" exists, and if you have no joint credit you can get your files updated.

I know this is the case because my wife applied for car insurance payable in ten monthly payments, and my files showed the search too. We do have a joint mortgage.

Good luck.

How long does this assocaiation stand? My sister had access to my current account years ago in case anything went wrong/needed paying at the house while I was travelling.
By survival
binderdundat wrote:
How long does this assocaiation stand? My sister had access to my current account years ago in case anything went wrong/needed paying at the house while I was travelling.

The association is created if you have a joint account. But if she mearly had authority for access then there is no association.

I have authority to sign cheques and withdraw cash from my grandfathers account as he travels alot. There is no association on the credit file.
By binderdundat
#132383 We opened a joint account (I was in Germany at the time and it seemed easier). Now the account is closed, does the association disappear? Tks.
By mrsmith
#132812 I've been through this before. From what I was able to discover it is presumed if you both live at the same adress then you automatically have a financial association. You need to write to the CRF's stating you do not (and try to prove it!), they will write to the other party to confirm, and if they are convinced they will then remove the other persons details from your CRF and vice versa.

At least that's what happened for me.

I went Br Dec 04, discharged Jun 05. My wife sometimes has problems, sometime she does not, it just depends where you apply (she was ok with a M&S credit card application recently so that may be worth a pop).
By sammys
#132858 hi, thanks for that i am in the prosses of writing to them now for my files i haven't done so since i got discharged , I dont see the point realy in getting my credit files as i know what they are goig to say anyway , but now it has affected my partner that is the only reason i am writing to them for my files , we dont have anything joint not even on the morgage, If I was on the morgage then i woulden't have gone b/r I wasn't going to have the house taken away for my silly mistakes as the dept was nothing to do with my partner , he never new about it till i broke down one day and confessed all . I had a solicitor as well sort out my b/r for me he said it woulden't affect him . looks like he was wrong then doesn't it
just worried as well that the more credit my partner applies for and gets refused that will show up on his credit reports as well wont it
anyway thanks for your help i'll post letters later today