Discussions on life after your bankruptcy discharge.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Suzie Flynn
#115990 Hi there

I was made bankrupt on 10 June 2004 and discharged a year later.

I have updated my credit report with my certificate of discharge and all the creditors but ONE (Barclaycard!!) have updated my accounts to account satified or settled.

Does anyone know how I can get a debit card? Not interested in a credit card, just a debit card so I can pay for things over the internet, i.e. cinema tickets.

I've been advised to approach smaller banks, tell them I don't want an overdraft and go armed with my certificate of discharge and my credit report. Have also been told to surf the web and go on to chat rooms and speak to people who are in the same situation as me.

Can anyone help me on this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Suzie
By TalbotWoods
#115999 Co-op Cash minder account come immediately to mind, it is a basic account with an electron card excellent customer services and excellent Internet banking.

Tim
By Suzie Flynn
#116070 Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply. I currently have a Visa Electron card with the Woolwich but it is quite limited where you can use it.

Would ideally like a Visa or Switch debit card so that I can have more flexiblity when purchasing online.

For example Amazon don't take Visa Electron.

Thanks

Suzie
BySandyballs
#116072 You could look at a pre pay one like mycashplus ?
By Suzie Flynn
#116076 Where do I look into prepayplus. Is there a website?
By £76K
#116077 A talk sport or Extreme prepay switch card which cost only when you upload
By Pineapple
Suzie Flynn wrote:For example Amazon don't take Visa Electron.

I've used Electron on Amazon loads of times.
By TalbotWoods
Suzie Flynn wrote:Where do I look into prepayplus. Is there a website?

http://www.mycashplus.co.uk/
By Suzie Flynn
#116083 Well maybe it's not Amazon but I know it's a popular website like boots, amazon, etc.
By Poolie
#116085 Do you get a salary of over £1500 a month. If so Try Citibank.

Proper DEBIT card Cheque book but no Cheque guarrentee on the card. They pay interest on the account.

Sterling Current account. http://www.citibank.com

Poolie
By Suzie Flynn
#116089 Think I can cope with out the pink girly one.

Thanks for the links.
By Suzie Flynn
Poolie wrote:Do you get a salary of over £1500 a month. If so Try Citibank.

Proper DEBIT card Cheque book but no Cheque guarrentee on the card. They pay interest on the account.

Sterling Current account. http://www.citibank.com

Poolie

Hi

and they give accounts to discharged bankrupts?
By Poolie
#116097 I hope so I have one. They have only four branches. 3 in London, ! in Manchester!

DO NOT fill in the form online. Go to the branch, ask for the basic current account. This means no cheque guarantee card or overdraft! You will hear in four days of visting the branch. 10 months after discharge for me!!!!!!!

PM if you need more advice.

Poolie
By addictive1
#116135 Nationwide, I got one while I was bankrupt. This came with a proper Visa Debit card.