Issues and questions that come up during your bankruptcy period

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By32k in debt
#42921 Hi y'all! Would just like to say thanks for everyones advice before I did the deed.

All done now. High Court was impressive. A lot of waiting around. 18 or so people on the day. Mad dash to the OR (lol) and all over by 3:30pm.

Here's the sequence of events for anyone who might be interested:

10am High Court

10:20am Thomas Moore Building: Papers checked and signed (needed to fill in a revised sheet - civil partnership changes or something like that). Told to take papers with me in order to pay fees and then return. Given map to fees office.

10:30am Fees office: Not the easiest place to find. It's basically on the right side of the main entrance (as you look at the High Court) near the front of the building. Paid my £310. Told to hand in exemption form next door down. (JSA booklet is not proof - they wanted letter with amount and type of benefit. Didn't seem to matter though??) Fees paid, receipt given.

10:50am Back to Thomas Moore Building: Bit of a queue at the "post office-like" points. Papers checked again, then sworn in there and then (You're asked if you're religious or not and then you "repeat after" the clerk). Have to say I whispered my way through that part. Papers taken and told to come back at 2:30pm, to the floor below. (All this without a judge in sight!?)

11:40am This is when the boredom creeps in: Conducted my own tour of the building. Lovely architecture. Sat reading in the court yards, sat in the cafe, sat in another court yard. Had another coffee. People watching was fun, especially the judges. Some with wigs, some without, some whipping them off in relief, others on their mobiles. Camera crews were outside in force too. Didn't think my BR warranted such media attention? :wink:

2:30pm Thomas Moore Building again: At last! All of us were sitting in a room waiting for our stamped papers to be given out. They called the names out alphabetically. Great! I was going to be last on the list... Finally, my name was announced and the papers handed to me. They were stamped at 12:45pm. Now told to head down to the Official Receiver's Office in Bloomsbury Street by 4:00pm at the latest. It was now 3:00pm.

On yer marks.... Get set... GO!!

Definitely turns into a race to get there (it's a first-come-first-served setup at the OR's). I was last out of the High Court, so had to make up some places! Decided to run. Others took cabs and buses... In the end got there in about 10mins, and was about 4th in line... :sweat:

3:10pm The OR: Hmmm, Ok. Apart from a couple of them the ORs seemed to be straight out of college!! (Bigmac - I think you commented on that too). Definitely far too young...(or am I getting on a bit?). Anyway, I was ushered in to a small cubicle/room and was briefly asked about my reason for going bankrupt, and that was pretty much it. Didn't want my statements, but I did hand in my credit/bank cards. The OR photocopied my papers and I signed a couple of other documents. No questionnaire, or anything else, but was told that my case was straightforward. No mention of another interview nor an early discharge, but then the latter's not important, especially considering I was allowed to keep both tools of my trade!! :D Was out in 15mins too...

So all in all, not an unpleasent experience. Now I'm a bankrupt, and it's time to lurk (and post) in the "During Bankruptcy" index.

Once again thanks for all your help. Good luck to everyone going down this route!
ByVanilla_sky
#42931 Phew I am worn out reading that!

Congratulations cos today is the first day of the rest of your life :-)

Have a drink you deserve one

Nilla x
By32k in debt
#42935 Thanks Nilla! Sorry it went on a bit. Just wanted to give a general picture of the High Court for those heading down there in the future.

Yup. The drink has been had, and it's time to catch up on the important things in life that I've lost/ignored/forgot over the last 15 years...

:wink:
ByVanilla_sky
#42936 No 32k it was good reading about your day, just wish we got it all over and done with here in one day!

Nilla x
ByBigmac
#42937 Well done 32k! Great feeling isn't it. Sounds like your day went
exactly the same as mine and yes those OR staff are very young.
Great news you could keep your 'tools'!!! You'll sleep well tonight....
ByVanilla_sky
#42939 Beginning to think now we should petition at Leeds cos that is like the High Court of Pudding Land all done and dusted in a day

Nilla x
ByMel_Odious
#42982 Well done 32k. iIwas one of those silly buggers who took the cab. Went all round the houses because of one-way system. Cost me £6.00 and got there last!
Glad to hear you'll stick around.

Mel
ByVanilla_sky
Mel_Odious wrote:Well done 32k. iIwas one of those silly buggers who took the cab. Went all round the houses because of one-way system. Cost me £6.00 and got there last!
Glad to hear you'll stick around.

Mel

Mel we were laughing about that yesterday when we met Mart, I once got a cab from New St in Brum to The Moat House it cost me £7 and I could have walked it from the station in 5 mins :-(

Nilla x
ByMel_Odious
#42988 Blimmin' London cabbies though, you'd think picking up outside the High Court they would tell you it's quicker to walk. no way!
Deffo saw me coming and I'm supposed to be a street wise cockney.
Yeh right!

Mel x
ByVanilla_sky
#42992 Its cos you look so dapper Mel :-)

Nilla x
Bydenisl
#43047 Cheers for that story 32k. do you mind telling a bit about where the money went etc. i mean i know we all borrowed more to pay something else etc but was any for gambling at all? i had about 2k borrowed from total 30k spent online gambling which worries me a little.

cheers
ByAnge
#43057 Well done 32k - join the club now.

NMH
xxx
By32k in debt
#43084 Thanks all. Feels weird. I think I've been mentally programmed to try and find the money to pay this debt and then that debt, that now I'm sort of adjusting to no debt.

denisl. I had no gambling debt, (it was slowly accrued over some 15 years after my father died). As far as I can tell they may extend your bankurptcy into a BRO (bankruptcy restrictions order). What that means is they basically extend the 1 year bankruptcy conditions for longer. How long I wouldn't like to guess as each case is different.
Bylou
#43143 Hi Vanilla,
We did our bankrupcy at Leeds court just over a year ago and unless it's changed since then it wasn't all done in one day, It was very quick though only waited about 2 hrs ,didn't have to see the judge and then just a quick phone call to speak to OR and give him a few details, than off to the nearest bar for a stiff drink :D We then had our interview about 3 weeks later.
Lou
ByVanilla_sky
#43159 Oh right Lou thanks, I thought with having to go and see the OR in Leeds then it was all done in a day there

Are you discharged now?

Nilla x