Issues and questions that come up during your bankruptcy period

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

ByJulieP
#31082 Quickie question. When I got out of court I went straight to the Nationwide and opened an account (Flexiaccount). Now I thought you were not allowed a cheque book and they have sent me one. Should I question this with them or keep quiet?

Thanks
Julie
BySonic
#31083 Hi Julie

Did you tell them you were bankrupt?

Their regular current account is also called a 'Flex Account', if you didn't explain that you are bankrupt/ask specifically for a basic account, then they may have opened a current account for you. (If you only petitioned that day then the bankruptcy wouldn't show on your credit record, hence you passing the credit score).

I would have said don't worry, just count yourself lucky, but there might be a problem that once bankruptcy is announced, because Nationwide may decide to freeze the account - and you don't want to find yourself with no bank account, or worse still funds 'stuck' in an account you can no longer access. So I personally would tell 'em - but others here may say different.

S xxx
ByMel_Odious
#31087 I don't think anyone will say different. Julie, inform them and re-apply for their basic account because as Sonic said, there is a very big likelihood of the account being frozen once they become aware you are bankrupt.

Mel
ByJulieP
#31088 Just rang them. They have downgraded the account and sent the cheque book by mistake......LOL. So no problems! Thanks though for the info.

Julie
ByMel_Odious
#31089 Much happier about that. You should be fine now. There is no problem in getting the Co-op Cashminder in addition. I like the internet banking, being able to set up DDs and SOs online and make money transfers between accounts and third parties. There are not many branches but it can be set up by 'phoning and then you can pay in at any Post Office. You also get an Electron Visa Debit card.

Mel
ByJulieP
#31091 Can do internet banking with NW too. Not fussed about a debit card. Go into a cold sweat whenever I have a card in my hand!