Issues and questions that come up during your bankruptcy period

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By jurgenpie
#194738 Went bankrupt on the 5th March and had the indignity of name in the local paper the following week, just got over that and now it is in again to state there is a meeting of creditors arranged for 20th May to appoint an insolvency practitioner giving my name and address again, surely once is enough! I suppose once this meeting has taken place I can start my IPA as it has been dragging on.

*]http://tinyurl.com/5luuce[/img]
By Tevez
#194796 Exactly the same happened to me. I thought I had got over the worst part (for me anyway) when my name was in the paper and then a few weeks later I was in town and was given a free Evening News. When I went for a coffee I opened the paper up and there was my name again!! I couldn't believe it! So I went through the upset all over again. I presume it hasn't been in again, I just haven't look at a paper since!! Another thing, both times my name and address was in capital letters for some reason and no-one else's was so it really stood off the page :?

All you can do is grit your teeth and get over it again like you did last time and hopefully no-one will see it.
By froglet
#194823 I went BR mid April and avoided all the local rags :oops: Yesterday I looked online under the public notices of our local newspaper, but no sign of my name (yet) Prior to going BR I was always obsessing about public notices and couldn't help noticing how few people in our area went BR :? Of course, that made me feel even worse!!
By jurgenpie
#194842 Have now received a letter from Northern Rock requesting I contact them within 72 hours to discuss my mortgage arrears (now 4 months in arrears) and if I don't they will send one of their financial advisors around to my new rented flat!!, have forwarded it on to the OR's office as I can't hand the keys is yet until a practitioner has been appointed as there could be up to 20k equity in it and he may auction it to pay creditors.

By moaner
#194845 I was always getting those letters from NR, they ended saying I owed them £9,000 in mortgage arrears since I went bankrupt :shock:

I just put them in the shredder, the house has now been repossesed and the letters have stopped :)
Bysurfbabe
#194851 We were with Platform home loans for our mortgage and I have to say they were great
After we initially rang them they ask for proof of bankruptcy then totally left us alone :?

I guess we were lucky

Or maybe they simply realised that we had no other secured borrowing but lots of equity so they would get paid in full :?

If they should appear at your new rented property there is nothing to force you to speak with them
Hopefully it just one of their annoying computer generated letters

SB
By jurgenpie
#194857 I had tried to speak to them, I have sent a copy of the bankruptcy certificate over 2 months ago but they were making out I still had to keep up payments even though I was bankrupt, I spoke to them last month saying I had no intention of making payments but they wouldn't have it so I'm just leaving it to the OR.

Bysurfbabe
#194859 Best thing Its the OR's house now anyway
Shame that you have the stress when you should be looking forward to your debt free future

Hopefully it will soon be behind you for good

SB
By jurgenpie
#194864 Just want to get the IPA set now, sooner I start the sooner the 36 months of payments will finish, tried to ring the OR as just had a £1000 a year pay rise and my initial SOA obviously didnt include this, was told to wait until a practitioner appointed on the 20th May, had to leave a 3 piece leather suite in the house as I'm now on the 3rd floor in a flat and it wouldn't go up the stairs, also had to give up 2 cats which I had for 8 years for adoption was gutted, still have 2 kittens which I'm keeping as house cats as they have never been out, I did win some money on a football raffle but I'm keeping that as its not going through my bank account and will keep as emergency reserve!

Bysurfbabe
#194866 How awful for you
To give up loved pets is heart wrenching
All these people who think Bankrupts take the easy route
Have no idea some of the sacrifices people have to make

Hope your new home brings you happiness

SB
By jurgenpie
#194867 I know what you mean, I tried not to get upset being a bloke and all that but, had to take them by taxi to the RSPCA animal shelter on Christmas Eve! there was a waiting list and I knew I had to leave the house but with 2 cats and 2 kittens which I had from 6 weeks now 11 months, it would have been cruel on the cats who were used to going out to shut them in, I rang the RSPCA and a week later they had been re-homed together (brothers). I know people think its the easy route but I was in a DMP for 3 years and a IVA for nearly 2 and wish I had gone BR from the start, I am just getting my life together again and luckily the job keeps me going, just lucky being single that no-one else suffers except me.

By froglet
jurgenpie wrote:I know what you mean, I tried not to get upset being a bloke and all that but, had to take them by taxi to the RSPCA animal shelter on Christmas Eve! there was a waiting list and I knew I had to leave the house but with 2 cats and 2 kittens which I had from 6 weeks now 11 months, it would have been cruel on the cats who were used to going out to shut them in, I rang the RSPCA and a week later they had been re-homed together (brothers). I know people think its the easy route but I was in a DMP for 3 years and a IVA for nearly 2 and wish I had gone BR from the start, I am just getting my life together again and luckily the job keeps me going, just lucky being single that no-one else suffers except me.

That's awful about your cats and some months back I came very close to rehoming one of my 2 dogs, possibly both as my marriage is over and he couldn't take even 1 (he wanted 2!!!). They are big dogs and I struggle looking after both as I can't walk both on them on leads. But then I had to choose...which one :cry: They are so close too! Then when I went through all the letting agents I didn't dare say I have a doberman, so I'd say a weimeramer (never mentioned the other one's a german shepherd :lol: ) Ironically I found several places who would've rented to me....until I admitted a CCJ and then politely got shown the door!
Luckily I'm housesharing with a friend who doesn't mind my "baggage", In fact he and my dobie hit it off on day 1 :mrgreen:
I think how close I came to rehoming them. My parents, family everyone was saying it's something I have to do, that it's time I put myself and my needs first, and it's the best decision in the end, but I doubt I would've gotten over it as silly as it sounds, they are my family :oops:
By Kaiser Soze
#194928 Luckily, no one i know can read