Debt questions from around the world, helping each other by giving and receiving advice on UK based debt.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By kingbing
#3315 I lived in South Africa for a while (though a UK citizen) and had a bank account there. I thought I had closed all my accounts when I left in 2000, but am now being chased for an orginal credit card debt of R6000 (around £600) which has now gone up to around R15,000 thanks to charges and a hefty interest rate.

They have got an email address for me and phone number (I thought they had a UK address for me that I had given them back in 2000 for any further correspondence). They have now taken out a court action for R11,000 (this informed by email).

The question is what is the best way to handle this? How realistic is it for them to pursue my debt? I don;t actually dispute the original R6000, but don't really have the necessary £600 to cover the lower debt right now, though it could be managable. I certainly don't have over £1,000 to £1,500 to cover their extra costs, nor do I want to or think I should pay those.

There is a reasonable chance I may want to go to SA again at some point.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Thanks.
By JaneClack
#3316 Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on this but do read the headline article on this website as debt collection has gone global in the last few years and they could sell this debt onto someone here in the UK.
By Ayla
#191227 I'm bumping this up three years later, because I would like to know if anyone has a definitive answer.
Thank you.
Last edited by Ayla on Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By TalbotWoods
#191232 Hi Ayla

Unfortunately there is no definite answer that we can give, as this will be governed by the consumer and financial laws that are in force in SA.

However, currently there are no 'reciprocal' agreements in place with SA which means that at present if a debt in SA has had legal action taken on it, the company cannot force that legal action in this country. Should you choose to return to SA at a later date, then it is possible that they could then enforce it, depending on the laws of that country.

Tim