Debt questions from around the world, helping each other by giving and receiving advice on UK based debt.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By ruebear
#309703 Im new to this site so bear with me . I left the UK 9 years ago leaving behind a few credit card debts (not sure how much cumulatively )and a bank loan of about 15k .I havent had any contact with my last known address and hence have had no contact with any of my creditors .I dont have any plans to return to live in the UK . My questions are :
(1) Is the debt still outstanding or has it time elapsed ?
(2) Would a credit agency be able to give me a credit report online or do they need to see me face to face ?
(3) If i make any contact with a credit agency does this go on my credit file and hence attract the attention of any creditors still active ?
(4) Is bankruptcy an option and if i pursued that would i have to do this in person ?If so where ?
(5) If i took the bankrupcy route would this affect me in my current country ?
(6) How long is my credit affected if i declared bankrupcy ? I remember in 2003 it was 2 years but is that still the rule ?
(7) How much cost is involved in declaring bankruptcy and what is required ? I have no records of any of my debts and am unsure of my last known address in the UK!
(8) Am i better off leaving sleeping dogs lie ?

Any help you could offer me on any of these questions would be very much appreciated !
By TalbotWoods
#309723 OK Point by point

(1) Is the debt still outstanding or has it time elapsed ?

Depends on if the creditors applied for County Court Judgements (CCJs) for any of the debts, if they did then the debts are still live, if they didn't then the debts are Statute Barred (which means they can't go to court to collect, but can still ask you to pay).

(2) Would a credit agency be able to give me a credit report online or do they need to see me face to face ?

No, you need a current and provable UK address to obtain your Credit Reference File,with out it you wont get it. They do not deal with people face to face either

(3) If i make any contact with a credit agency does this go on my credit file and hence attract the attention of any creditors still active ?

Only if you have a provable UK address, otherwise they cannot record an address,but this is immaterial see (2)

(4) Is bankruptcy an option and if i pursued that would i have to do this in person ?If so where ?

No, there is a three year time limit in which you can return to the UK to declare bankruptcy, this has now been exceeded so is not an option.

(5) If i took the bankrupcy route would this affect me in my current country ?

Not applicable in your case, but if it were it would depend on which country as different counties have different agreements in place

(6) How long is my credit affected if i declared bankrupcy ? I remember in 2003 it was 2 years but is that still the rule ?

It has never been 2 years it has been 6 years, and longer if you have restrictions put into place, normally up to a maximum of 15 years

(7) How much cost is involved in declaring bankruptcy and what is required ? I have no records of any of my debts and am unsure of my last known address in the UK!

Not applicable as you cannot declare bankruptcy, but if you could you would need £700 (£525 for the Official Receiver fee and £175 for the Court fee)

(8) Am i better off leaving sleeping dogs lie ?

As you have said you have no intention of returning to the UK, then simple answer is YES
By ruebear
#309733 thankyou talbot - very prompt and informative !

One last question - How would i know if i have a coun ty court judgement put against me from afar ?

Great site - Keep up the good work
By TalbotWoods
#309773 Again without a current provable UK address you will not be able to check, because they will carry out a non showing ID check against the credit files to confirm who you are.

The other drawback is the register only holds records going back 6 years so if granted before then, it wouldn't show, but still exists.
By nomlas
#309813 Upon reading this post, most of which I would not have a clue, I would just like to say it is quite incredible the info and knowledge you have Tim. Also the fact that you take the time out to help everyone. Well done.
By TalbotWoods
#309843 TY