Debt questions from around the world, helping each other by giving and receiving advice on UK based debt.

Moderators: TalbotWoods, JaneClack

By Scouse
#191405 I haven't seen this addressed...perhaps I missed it.

Are there any provisions in the Consumer Credit Act in reference to UK debts assigned to foreign (US) JDB?

Are the debts governed by UK Law ??
Are the assignees bound by the same laws as the original creditor?
By xxxxxx
#191414 i guess they can enforce a foreign judgement.

Scouse wrote:I haven't seen this addressed...perhaps I missed it.

Are there any provisions in the Consumer Credit Act in reference to UK debts assigned to foreign (US) JDB?

Are the debts governed by UK Law ??
Are the assignees bound by the same laws as the original creditor?
By everett
#191448 The only way I could see this happening is if your UK debt was sold to a USA debt agency and they would then be able to take you court under their laws.
By xxxxxx
#191482 Why are you saying that? I am trying to contribute in some ways. I understand your frustration but it is not nice how you are responding to me.
I said that they could issue a foreign judgement that if you were issued a ccj in uk. that's all!
Scouse wrote:Why bother answering if you absolutely have nothing to say?
By TalbotWoods
#191495 I am going to lock this thread, as by reading a lot of the posts in the global section it is clear as to the answer.

UK debt is governed by UK law, and your immediate defence in any claim it to either produce your original credit agreement which will state that the finance is under English/Welsh/Scottish law, or if you are not able to do that request formally of the collectors that they provide a true copy of the originally signed agreement (which will then show which laws govern the debt).

If they cannot produce an agreement then you argument is exactly the same as in the UK - What Debt, as there is no agreement it cannot be enforced

If you choose not to contest it then that is your choice Judge sin other countries cannot be expected to know how an agreement runs unless on or other of the parties produces it to show which laws govern.

Tim